Home Forums Foundation Two C23 Discussion

• Cecile Bonnet

February 6, 2022 at 10:52 pm

Where does Ecopsychology and Coaching come together? How does this blend add foundation to your interests as a Nature-Connected Coach. How might it fall short? And what skills are needed?

Ecopsychology holds that there is a “synergistic interplay between planetary and personal well-being” as described by Roszak, T in “Ecopsychology- The Principals”. Nowadays, our society forgot the simple things in Nature that make us happy and feel connected. Just looking at the Corporate World, people do not know how to slow down and do not value a slower pace because they value their self-worth by the amount of hours they work or by the amount of projects they are handling.

In “Ecopsychology- The Principals” Roszak, T illustrates that “Ecopsychology seeks to heal the more fundamental alienation between the person and the natural environment” and “Ecopsychology therefore deeply questions the essential sanity of our gargantuan urban-industrial culture”. We are actually losing our sanity by disconnecting ourselves from Nature. “Time in nature proves essential to our health as humans because it impacts our psychological, mental, emotional and physical wellbeing” as described in the Coyote’s Guide.

This is where coaching comes in… where Ecopsychology and Coaching come together to co-create in order to help our clients transform their life. Nature and the coach are both acting as a container to hold space for the client and guide him to where he needs to go.

As a Nature-Connected Coach we are not here to give answers to the client. We are here to draw out “this intrinsic human resourcefulness” and “the first step to establishing trust is to abandon advice-giving as a coaching tactic” (Chp 2 Coaching Skills from J. Rogers). Nature is exactly what the client needs to take ownership of his own experience and to trust his intuition.

Nature is also here to help him reconnect with his inner child and appreciate the simple things in life that are often forgotten. As mentioned by Roszak, T in “Ecopsychology- The Principals”, “The ecological unconscious is regenerated, as if it were a gift, in the newborn’s enchanted sense of the world. Ecopsychology seeks to recover the child’s innately animistic quality of experience in functionally “sane” adults.”

It might fall short with people that are not open-minded and need proof before even trying something new. I feel that Ecopsychology and Coaching can be hard to explain at times to people that are scientists and believe in data, facts and that are a lot more in their heads than in their hearts. I also believe that it might not be for everyone and that is ok.

I believe that the skills needed are (non-exclusive list):

– Great listening

– Powerful questioning

– Restraining ourselves from doing their work for them

– Going slowly and leaving time for the information to sink in + “Repetition is the mother of mental habits” (Coyote’s guide)

– Telling inspiring stories to show what is possible and to show appreciation for the little things in life

• Cecile Bonnet

February 6, 2022 at 11:10 pm

Hi Liv, I really resonated with what you said when you shared that NCC falling into the discipline of Ecopsychology brought more credence to it and provided more foundation. Everything interweaves somehow and it is really interesting to understand all the different pieces. As we learn more and more, I feel it is going to be easier to explain it to others.

And yes to the “nature of change” and how our brains works. As the Coaching skills book states p 28, “when you feel you are being told what to do, your first response is virtually always to defend your existing position. It becomes impossible to listen carefully to what the other person is saying, however sensible it is”

• Liv

February 12, 2022 at 12:22 pm

Summary Post

Ecopsychology is the research foundation for our work as NCCs. Part of the magic of being a Nature-Connected Coach is modeling awe and reverence for nature and helping to awaken and nurture that in our clients in a way that helps them be the best version of themselves.

What comes up for me is Thich Nhat Hanh’s beautiful poem:

***Kiss The Earth, by Thich Nhat Hanh***

Walk and touch peace every moment.

Walk and touch happiness every moment.

Each step brings a fresh breeze.

Each step makes a flower bloom.

Kiss the Earth with your feet.

Bring the Earth your love and happiness.

The Earth will be safe
    when we feel safe in ourselves.

– Thích Nhất Hạnh

And Ajeet Kaur’s song, which I’m imagining was inspired by the words above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6hEvSvpx7M

• Cecile Bonnet

February 13, 2022 at 12:01 pm

F2 Summary post

Foundation 2 was rich in so many ways:

a real pillar to understand the ceremony steps and especially the severance part

– reading the coaching skills book and coyote’s guide taught me the skilled language for coaching and the effective questions to ask a client during a session. Being able to experience it in the field with classmates was a real treasure

– “If Nature Deficit Disorder demonstrates one possible set of symptoms as a results of modern cultural influences and lifestyle, the Indicators of Awareness demonstrate the opposite – symptoms of health” – one takeaway from this foundation is the confirmation that Nature is essential for our well-being. Without it, we lose ourselves and disconnect from ourselves and Mother Nature.

– Ecopsychology + Coaching + Nature = 1

I am excited as a coach to co-create with Nature to help my clients transform their life for the best

• Josh

January 22, 2023 at 5:39 pm

Summary Post

The exploration of ecotherapy, ecopsychology, and nature connected demonstrate the importance and need for nature’s collective healing, that is the healing of us as individuals, as nature, and the interconnected system from which we all spring and thrive. We suffer when nature suffers, nature suffers when we suffer because we are one in the same, a collective body and consciousness.

As nature connected coaches we are tapping into this collective body and consciousness to support our clients on their journeys. We are also supporting them, through our unique coaching methodology, to tap more directly into this shared nature.

This Foundation also helped clarify the importance and meaning of nature as a co-guide in the coaching ceremony. Much of our readings and these discussion posts highlight how nature is not just something to be used or exploited in service of our client’s own goals — it is, in many ways, an equal partner in the coaching ceremony with its own wisdom and needs that can support our collective growth.

Page 2 of 2
Reply to: Ivy Walker
Cancel
Your information:

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now