Home Forums Foundation Four C23 Discussion

• Sara Brells

October 3, 2021 at 11:58 am

Its been a struggle for me so far to really drop into a dreamy imagining of ideal client. I pop back up into my practical, analytical mind often, where that part of me (parts are truly everywhere now!) is quick to analyze what is “feasible,” which potential clients actually have money for coaching, and what is the most impactful.

This is me exploring how nature-connected coaching might fit into the fabric of social justice efforts, a lifelong passion and important part of my identity. It is what led me to education, and I still believe education is my niche in social change. How might that merge with coaching?

So at first, the ideal client popping up are young parents who are committed to raising their children outside the status quo paradigm, and who are figuring out what that looks like for them. As someone drawn to the potential power of positive social change through work with youth, my analytical mind determined that working with adults who influence youth holds great potential for positive social impact. The Coyote Guide book discusses the importance of modeling, and parents/guardians & teachers tend to be adults youth spend the most time around and are shaped by. By parents transforming the way they show up in the world in relationship with nature, there may be more hope for young generations to grow up with deeper connection to the natural world. I personally believe a nature-connected youth is critical for the health of both Mother Earth and any hope for sustaining human life on this incredible planet.

But who am I to coach parents when I myself am not a parent? Why not coach youth directly? Is that a thing? Could I make it a thing? Would I make any money coaching kids?

And so then I begin to think about teachers – the other group of adults who greatly shape the identity and mindsets of youth. As a former teacher, that probably makes more sense. But as a former teacher, I recognize how broke most teachers are and how little time we typically have for eating and sleeping, let alone coaching. Hmmmm…maybe I should go back to the idea of working with families; urban families who recognize something is missing in their life, and who have jobs that afford them access to coaching…

That is the vicious cycle in my head when ideal client comes up.

I have been able to drop in more dreamily occasionally, and when I have, here is what comes up:

HORSES ~ Horses played an incredibly healing role in my life as a child. They are intuits, mirrors for how we are showing up in the world, and bring me SO much joy. I want to share that with clients. So whoever that ideal client is, horses are another collaborator…

Young women ~ around the 18 – 22 age group, young women who see themselves as changemakers and are trying to figure out what that means in their life as they challenge the introjects of society.

Womxn identifying in general ~ I do not see myself working with men

Racial justice ~ working with folx who are oriented to racial justice, who have been and want to continue doing the hard work of unpacking and healing their own biases, privileges, and/or both lived and generational oppression. I don’t necessarily see myself facilitating this as a core part of coaching, but in working with the WHOLE client, it is important to me that it is present

Co-housing ~ I’ve been fascinated by this movement and idea for a couple of years now and have had some visions of working with newly forming co-housing communities, and/or starting my own

Writing ~ Writing both creatively and through journaling has been an incredibly healing part of my life. I see myself leading workshops that incorporate nature-connection and writing. Still not sure who with…but putting it out there

To try to merge some of the ideas that have grown out of the more dreamy state with my more practical mind, here are some of the people/organizations I found online:

Women’s Empowerment Workshop (http://www.womenempower.us/) – This is actually run by a woman who was in a very early NCC cohort. When I first came across her organization earlier this year, I was blown away – she is doing so much of what I would love to do…running workshops, one-on-one coaching, working with youth and women.

Horse Guided Empowerment (https://christinamarz.com/)- A dear friend of mine recently completed the facilitator certification course with this program, which feels like a beautiful fabric woven of three passions of mine : horses, coaching, and Ecuador (the program is based out of Ecuador). In a description of the work they do, the founder says: “Horses communicate through emotions and they are constantly scanning their environment for an energetic change. As social animals, they need authentic, congruent and predictable behavior in order to maintain harmony and safety in their herd..the horses will reflect your emotions and serve as a canvas for hidden thoughts, patterns or early affirmations. They do not judge or manipulate us, and they can not be fooled by our masks as they react to the feelings behind our actions.” In this sense, horses are a collaborator in the coaching session in the way that nature is – they are the nature, and the experience with them is the threshold experience.

Sage Family (https://sagefamily.com/shop)- I stumbled across this page by googling “kids nature coaching.” It is actually a woman in the PNW who is a mother and offers various coaching packages, including a parenting package and a homeschooling package. I hadn’t considered homeschooling coaching before – I noticed excitement in my body when I saw that. I was homeschooled through middle school in a very “unschooling” fashion, and I LOVED it. I could see that as a potential ideal client for myself ~ working with a family who wants to unschool. This site offers a helpful model for business and marketing, for when I get to that point. I also notice that her coaching packages are very formulaic. She has set steps to work through, which sounds to me more like mentoring than client-led coaching. Some of the main points of the parenting package stand out to me though: the importance of environment, routine, and making space for big feelings were pillars of focus in my work in early childhood. Hmmm…

The Nature in You (https://www.thenatureinyou.com/bookings-checkout/soulful-mentorship?referral=service_list_widget) – This woman’s business popped up in my Googling as well. This particular package (linked) is an inspiring example of her bringing together her experiences and strengths into a supportive package for the client. I appreciate that she calls it mentoring, because again, it sounds less client-led than coaching. What called to me were a couple of lines in her description of this package: “This package is specifically meant for those who are not just ready to feel better but to BE better.” and “…a deep journey to experience and actively use successful tools to find centeredness, wholeness, and connection. If you are experiencing overwhelm, anxiety, depression or a general sense of disconnectedness, this experience is for you. Throughout this experience, you will be lovingly guided to connect with the most powerful, wise and soulful version of yourself.” This resonates.

<div>
    </div>

I will come back to this forum when I have more clarity around ideal client to respond to the rest of the prompt. For now, a common thread I notice is a desire to work with people who want to experience deeper connection: connection with themselves, with the natural world, and with their families. “Empowerment” was literally a word that kept coming up even though I wasn’t entering it into the search bar. I notice I have some sense of how I want to work with clients and some characteristics of clients, but I need to continue digging deeper into that question of, “What is the population that most excites you, and why?”

• Joy Nalywaiko

October 24, 2021 at 6:51 pm

Hi Sara – I can relate to your struggle of finding the ideal client. I found myself struggling between what I ‘should’ do as part of my original business model and what sounds light and fun for me in the moment.

Upon reading your various options that you presented for yourself, I wonder if being a coach to parents is similar to being a teacher to children. As a teacher, you don’t feel the need to be a parent in order to teach children; perhaps this is similar to coaching parents – and teaching modeling directly helps both the parents trying to go outside the box as well as the children.

• Sara Brells

December 7, 2021 at 11:31 am

Joy – thanks for pointing that out! Challenging my competing commitments/mindset, how coach-y of you. 😉 I’ll reflect on this more, thank you…

• Joy Nalywaiko

October 24, 2021 at 6:55 pm

Also, upon reading the organizations that you found while researching your ‘dreamy’ ideas, I can feel your passions coming through in a more concise, yet awestruck kind of way. I can’t wait to see the route you wind up taking 🙂

• Lindsay

October 26, 2021 at 11:39 am

Wow Sara, you are inspiring. You see big picture, little picture, adults, children, animals, teachers, parents, kids, institutions, social justice reachings, writing, etc; And all with a nice analytical balance considering practicality, financial means, etc. I love your desire to “dream” into your vision. …I can relate to your desiring work with women. I too am in that place currently. …Thank you for the websites! You have reinvigorated me this morning to get back to work! ;). I have no doubt you are on your path to finding “ideal” clients for you.

• Sara Brells

December 7, 2021 at 11:33 am

Thank you, Lindsay! It is affirming to hear that you notice the throughlines, as I still feel a bit all over the place with this…I’m trying to just trust the feeling of vision and that how it all fits together will reveal itself along the way. I’m excited to learn more about your journey with this too!

• Hannah

October 28, 2021 at 4:49 pm

Thank you Sara!

I hear confidence, conciseness and a firm knowing in who you want to be as a coach. It seems like you are paving your way to your ideal client.

I also at times feel you in working with women, I personally go back and forth with whether or not to stick with one gender or work with all.

I also resonate with working with 18-22 age group (for me personally maybe a wider age 16-25). A change-maker mindset and calling to dharma or purpose.

Co-housing! Awesome! I have found in my personal experience that at times co-housing almost need a coach or someone on the external to help guide communication and flow. That would be an interesting way to provide coaching.

• Sara Brells

December 7, 2021 at 11:34 am

Thank you, Hannah! I definitely feel some parallels in our interests with coaching 🙂 And I’d love to hear more about your experience and noticings with co-housing sometime!

• Toni Blanton

January 29, 2022 at 5:34 pm

Sara – Your post is really inspiring! I so appreciate your willingness to show us your process. I find myself resonating with the many different things you’re exploring and the spiraling nature of the process. I’m also finding some of the organizations you mention really resonate for me too, especially The Nature in You. I love her offering of virtual nature walks via zoom. So creative! Thank you for the offering of your words!

• Cecile Bonnet

February 28, 2022 at 9:53 pm

Sara – Wow I absolutely love your vision, thank you for sharing. It’s beautiful to see you put all the pieces of the puzzle together. I resonate with not knowing exactly who your ideal client is (yet!) but it’s a process and I can see how it it is all beautifully coming together. I think it is a matter of letting things go, surrendering and enjoying the journey. I can’t wait to see how you define your vision 🙂 Also thank you for sharing these amazing websites, it inspired me!

• Joy Nalywaiko

October 24, 2021 at 6:41 pm

This is a really tough question for me to answer, and I want to stop avoiding it simply because I don’t know my ideal target client at the moment. I would love to coach those that want to make big life changes but are scared – life changes that lead more to their own personal freedom and inner growth and awareness. I’ve had a lot of people come into my life since I started traveling and surrendering to the flow that’ve said, “Oh I wish I could do that.” Or “if only I could do what you are doing.” I would love to help empower them to do what they really want/need to do.

That said, as a hypnotherapist, I also imagine my ideal coaching clients to come from my hypno sessions. When starting with EBI, I had a vision of a ‘trifecta’ of therapy with those that have unresolved childhood traumas. With that unresolved trauma, I would help them heal at a subconscious level, moving to energy sessions (a lighter subconscious level) and then to coaching to move forward with their goals. That whole client base feels a little heavy in my mind right now (at this point in the program) but am still open to that idea.

So for the purpose of these questions, I will explore the first ideal client base that I mentioned because that currently feels lighter for me. My ideal client in this instance is the client that wants more freedom in their lives…perhaps someone that has lived more in a ‘I should do’ type of life rather than ‘this is in my highest and best interest’ kind of life. A client who wants to surrender to the flow of life, in whatever capacity they need/want. I really enjoy using the ceremonial process of severance, threshold and incorporation as well as the nature-based thresholds that we used in school such as finding sit spots, asking the sacred questions, utilizing the seven breaths of awareness, and wandering. Being an online coach, I want to incorporate these threshold experiences into my sessions and also incorporate nature-based exercises as homework. I also would like to continue utilizing guided imagery and mini-hypno sessions into the sessions as an offering.

I foresee them working through some common categories such as “I want to make these changes but I don’t know how,” “I want to quit my job or find a position that gives me more freedom”, “I want to travel the world but have these life responsibilities.” I would love to use both aimless wandering and wandering with a purpose to achieve these goals by giving them a different perspective in nature – whether in their local park, forest or backyard and seeing what arrives for them.

Upon researching this topic, I’ve discovered a realm of coaching that relates to traveling that contains some of the aspects I’m looking for in my own personal nature-based travel coaching practice. My focus is more on finding life freedom in order to travel but also would want to incorporate the traveling aspect into their goals – to become a larger picture threshold experience. But doing it through nature-based trips such as backpacking in the Alps or Himalayas. More on the aspect of a travel coach can be found here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2020/02/04/personal-travel-coach-hot-trend-2020/?sh=2ca83769665f

• Lindsay

October 26, 2021 at 11:50 am

I love your “trifecta” vision. Starting with subconscious, to energy work, to in nature goal working. This sounds like a wonderful progression. And the client who “wants more freedom” really resonates as individuals I can see you working with. Moving through life with expansive curiosity and also with focussed intention is such a nice balance.. “I would like to use both aimless wandering and wandering with a purpose…”, -Love this!!

• Sara Brells

December 7, 2021 at 11:52 am

Thanks for sharing your journey and thought process here, Joy! I love that you’re leaning into this pull toward the freedom & travel coaching niche – particularly because I could see clients coming to you because you’ve experienced and created this for yourself. You have a unique set of offerings and experiences to guide your work, and this will resonate with clients inspired by you. And this doesn’t mean the trifecta wont happen someday – I even wonder how it might fit into your travel coaching niche? For some clients craving freedom, there may be a deeply subconscious block around something like scarcity (*coughmecough*) holding them back that could benefit from moving through the subconscious, to energy work, to forward motion coaching…

• Toni Blanton

January 29, 2022 at 5:41 pm

“Travel Coach” feels really juicy! I’ve really been feeling the call to travel lately and when I read the article of about travel coaches I felt a huge Yes! What a beautiful way that could be for you to offer your experience and all your skills and modalites into something uniquely you. I’m excited to see how it all flows together for you!

• Cecile Bonnet

February 28, 2022 at 10:24 pm

Joy – I have a big smile reading your post and visiting the website you’ve shared… this is so you, it fits you perfectly with your unique set of skills. I can see you guiding people wanting more freedom, wanting to travel while understanding themselves better, just the way you did it for yourself! Not using travel as a way to forget things and run away from challenging situations but as a way to deep dive and to do some deep inner work. So excited to see you grow and to witness your development 🙂

• Hannah

October 28, 2021 at 4:33 pm

When you think about coaching and/or guiding others, who comes to mind?

– Who initially comes to mind are young adults going through an initiation of going through the transition of becoming an adult.

I see both male and females, whom are looking for an improved lifestyle. One more connected with who they are at a core level and how to recreate life from the inside out. I also see myself working with family dynamics/group dynamics.

What is the population that most excites you, and why? How do you imagine working with them?

– The population that excites me the most are those who are seeking for something deeper. People that have been through a lot, perhaps even working people whom have been in war/poverty and wanting/willing to grow from this experience. Aftercare as of recently has been on my mind, whether its aftercare working with treatment centers, or after a traumatic experience. There is also a thought of working as a coach within corporate businesses with the employees and the team as a whole. Or even being hired to work one-on-one living nearby a client for a couple of months as a coach, to help “get them back on their feet”.

I imagine working with them through nutrition, ceremony, adulting, exploring and cultivating a grounded platform for living a healthy purposeful happy life lead from a place of soul.

<strong style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit;”>What would be the common categories of goals that you foresee them working towards?

– Some common categories of goals that I foresee are: creating meal plans, based on ones individual body type, financial planning/budgets, self-regulation tools, creating individual yoga practices, skills with how to cook, make your own products, become your own healer.

This uses what I have learned so far/what I am qualified in, incorporated in what I would like to offer.

How would you like to collaborate with nature to support their awareness and success?

– I would like to take people outside, remember there reconnection and how important what a gem that is.

Using the plant world to work with what clients are going through in their life cycle.

Introducing nature-connected practices.

Search the web and share with us a few examples of individuals or organizations who work with similar populations.

-One other thought I had is working with child/young adult refugees getting their bearings in their new environment.

https://foundationoficf.org/coaching-moroccan-refugees/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=coaching-moroccan-refugees

https://positivepresenceglobal.com/our-coaches/

• Sara Brells

December 7, 2021 at 11:55 am

Hi Hannah,

I appreciate how you’re imagining the ways you could weave together the various skillsets you have to offer. I foresee some powerful offerings in the way of packages that support youth holistically in their transition to adulthood! In reading your post, it also made me think of this organization you might be curious about…

https://www.riteofpassagejourneys.org/

• Joy Nalywaiko

November 5, 2021 at 3:19 pm

Summary Post

Foundation Four brought many new aspects of the coaching process to the table for me, including an in depth look at integration and the time between the sessions. Figuring out how to set my clients up for success between sessions is a vital topic that I want to explore more. Within my practice sessions so far, I’ve concentrated on the stages of the ceremony as well as integration but am reminded to find the science of success for their time in between sessions.

During this foundation, including within the discussion, I’ve taken a hard look at my ideal client base. It started out as a client base dealing with trauma and involved a trifecta of healing but as I’ve gone through the modules and practice sessions, I’m finding myself leaning further and further away from a trauma-based focus. If and when trauma does integrate itself within my practice, with both hypnotherapy and with nature-coaching, I am ready to help my clients with it. But choosing to focus on a target market of trauma seems utterly overwhelming at this point in my studies.

That said, this module inspired me to do further research into nature-based travel coaching, which is something that I’m currently exploring with the intention of ‘helping clients find their personal freedoms through nature-based travel.’ I see this happening as a series of smaller ceremonies surrounding the larger ‘quest-like’ ceremony of the actual nature-based trip that they go on with a larger question or focused intention to seek out. As of the end of Foundation courses for me, this is much more appealing to my expertise and background then pure trauma.

The face-to-face intensive for Foundation Four focused on the layers of severance and moving through threshold while being aware of the guide’s role during this process and what the client wants/needs from the guide. This module also went through the various stages of incorporation and ‘SMART’ing them out, which has been a very helpful step for me while practicing integration with my practice clients.

Within the reading for Foundation Four, chapter three was especially insightful as a reminder of various aspects of the coaching/client relationship. This was useful for many reasons but especially with the sections pertaining to ‘being yourself and being real.’ It was also helpful to read through the unconscious processes, such as projection, transference and paralleling as my practice clients have also been my classmates/friends and this was a good section to remind myself of the coaching/client boundaries.

All in all, my greatest takeaway from this section was the online discussion question, which prompted me to think outside of my previous business plan for my current ideal clients and my focus.

• John

November 29, 2021 at 8:34 am

Wow!
    Sara, Joy, Lindsay and Hannah P,

I have been struggling with the questions for this foundation for quite
    a while, but now having read all of your posts on this I am inspired
    with new ideas and vision! Yay! Thank you!

• John

December 5, 2021 at 10:59 am

<title></title><style type=”text/css”>

</style>

<font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>Foundation
    4 – Forum Discussion
    </font></font>

<font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>When
    you think about coaching and/or guiding others, who comes to mind?
    What is the population that most excites you, and why? </font></font>
    </font>

<font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>Like
    Sara, I believe that a nature-connected youth is sorely needed if we
    are to manifest positive change in our own lives and to cultivate a
    long-lost reverence for our Earth Mother. But when I think about
    coaching and guiding others, the group that comes to mind are older,
    young adults who are, for the most part, “out of the nest” and
    are trying to navigate this crazy, neurotic culture we’ve created. I
    see a lot of this age group—my wife has over a hundred young
    employees in her five restaurants, ranging in age from 18 to 40. I
    have interacted with many of these folks, and I can tell you that
    many of them are struggling to find meaning in everyday life. Many
    seem to have a disconnectedness from the world, no overall plan in
    life, no soulful Vision. I believe these are perfect candidates for
    nature-based connection. (As I write this, though, I do think I
    would consider working with any age person who approaches me about
    wanting to learn how to interact with Nature to better understand
    their-self and to formulate actions and goals to achieve a more
    fulfilling life).</font></font>
    </font>

<font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>How
    do you imagine working with them?</font></font>
    </font>

<font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>I
    have the good fortune to own a 65-acre farm property with fields,
    forests and ponds. It is located in a very rural location, surrounded
    by hundreds of acres of undeveloped woodland. My wife and I (with
    help) raise grass-fed beef and pastured pork, and we grow organic
    vegetables and cut flowers, all for use in my wife’s restaurants. I
    can envision developing programs centered around the farm operation,
    but also programs that rely on the wilderness aspect of the land,
    too. In fact, my vision for my practice will definitely include a
    wilderness-connection component, and when I complete the NCC training
    I plan to seek certification through EBI as a Transformational
    Wilderness Guide. I believe it can be said that many urban/suburban
    young adults have very little experience with time in the wilderness.
    I speak from my own experience when I say that the wilderness in a
    vast and fertile ground for facilitating personal transformation and
    growth.

</font></font></font>

<font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>What
    would be the common categories of goals that you foresee them working
    towards?</font></font>
    </font>

see my clients working generally toward a positive change in
    consciousness where they become better connected and in contact with
    Self. By developing full sensory awareness and attunement to the
    present moment, self-discovery, goal-setting, creating outcomes, and
    personal change are facilitated. And by guiding my clients to bring
    Vision together with their dreams, then the dreams become more
    powerful. And finally, eliciting personal responsibility and
    accountability to achieve agreed goals will help keep the client on
    the path the have created for their Self.</font></font>
    </font>

would you like to collaborate with nature to support their awareness
    and success?</font></font>
    </font>

<font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>Ceremony
    is key to guiding our clients into a collaborative relationship with
    Nature and toward a deeper connection with Self. There are so many
    ways to do ceremony while one is immersed in Nature! I especially
    enjoy the Wander ceremony because it can be mission-based (as in
    seeking the answer to a specific question or need) or it can be
    mission-less (as in being open to learning something new). The Sit
    Spot will be an essential ceremony to introduce to my clients as a
    daily routine. There are also many “severance” ceremonies that
    can draw on objects in Nature which can serve as metaphors for
    aspects of our own lives; there is magic in the way natural objects
    or settings can jump out at us with just the answers we are seeking,
    appearing to us simply by us showing up and tuning in. I am also
    interested in collaborating with nature on full-day and multi-day
    outings with my clients who are ready for a longer, more intimate
    experience in wilderness.</font></font>
    </font>

<font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”2″><font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>Also,
    search the web and share with us a few examples of individuals or
    organizations who work with similar populations. Add to your post, a
    comparative critique of these organizations based on what you know
    about Nature-Connected Coaching. </font></font>
    <font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>
    </font></font>
    </font></font>

<font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>Mynaturelink.org</font></font></font><font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>:
    </font></font></font>
    <font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>Lots
    of talk about going deeper and connecting with one’s entire
    self—which is defined as including one’s “…thoughts,
    feelings/emotions, actions, spirit, and body…” –to create
    lasting change. Also talk about “The Full Self (mind, body, soul,
    spirit)” process used to create “…solidified direction,
    inspiration, and solutions that guide the client in a collaborative
    way.” These goals align well with what we are doing at EBI, but
    little mention is given to connecting with Nature other than
    “…working with the natural world.”
    </font></font></font>

<font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>DancingMountainStorm.com</font></font></font><font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>:
    </font></font></font>
    <font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>Offers</font></font></font><font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>
    </font></font></font>
    <font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>Nature-Connection
    coaching in addition to several other modalities. There is a good
    page which describes Nature-Connected coaching as
    </font></font></font>
    <font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>“…</font></font></font><font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>blending
    the skills and techniques of professional life coaching with the
    unique skills of transformational wilderness work. Working in nature,
    we collaborate with the natural world to inspire self-discovery and
    support authentic, meaningful change. Through
    nature-connected coaching, you enhance your well-being and connection
    not only to yourself but also the natural world.” The coach, Joelle
    Dunaetz, lists an impressive number of credentials including
    certification as an NCC through EBI.
    </font></font></font>

<font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”2″><font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>Awarenesswithnature.com</font></font><font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>:
    “</font></font>
    <font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>Resilience
    Coaching Through Nature”… uses the word “nature” frequently
    on the main website but there isn’t much more information about the
    actual modalities used. There are 2 separate subsidiary websites that
    offer business coaching and group retreats. This seems like a great
    way to collaborate with non-NCC coaches to cast a wide net for
    potential clients.
    </font></font>
    </font></font>

<font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”2″><font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>Aaronrentfrew.com:
    </font></font>
    <font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>A
    compelling website. Not much talk about connecting with nature, but
    an implication that adventure in unique natural settings can
    facilitate great leaps in positive growth. I was impressed enough
    with this site that I recommended it to my youngest son who is
    unhappy with his current career path and is having trouble charting
    his next step.

Use
    citations from assigned readings (or other resources), your
    experience over the weekend, and your past experience to discuss your
    perspective.
    </font></font>
    <font size=”3″> </font></font></font>

<font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>Way
    back in the mid-eighties of the last century, having become
    disillusioned with my chosen career in forest management, I took a
    position with my local nature center. I was convinced that the
    environmental issues we face as a society can never be solved without
    educating younger generations about how life works on the planet. I
    took some seminars and workshops in environmental education, only to
    realize that most of what was offered focused on labeling things in
    nature, and not so much on ecology. There was something missing in
    the experiences we were providing for young and old alike. As stated
    on the International Coaching Federation’s (ICF) website, web
    searches for “Nature Coaching” often bring up references to
    “…coaching sessions
    carried out in the natural environment”

and/or “…experiences
    of outdoor training or experiential learning.”
    In
    a post by Diana Tedoldi on the ICF website, I found the following to
    be spot on:</font></font>

<font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″> In
    the first case
    [above},
    Nature is considered simply in its bucolic/idyllic aspect capable of
    generating relaxation and aesthetic enjoyment in the coachee through
    sounds, scents and panoramas. Numerous scientific researches
    demonstrate that these aspects positively impact our well-being. But
    the role assigned to Nature, in this case, is reductive. Nature has
    value in and of itself, beyond its usefulness for people. From this
    anthropocentric perspective, Nature is still conceived as exclusively
    at the service of man. And anthropocentrism is what we need to
    overcome now, to guarantee a future for humankind and life on Earth.
    </font></font></font>

<font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>Tedoldi
    goes on:</font></font></font>

<font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>In
    both cases, Nature is considered a mere container and background of
    experience and not an active subject, alive and participating in the
    coaching relationship. In both cases, the focus is exclusively on
    the benefits caused by Nature to people. In the second case, the
    term (perhaps trendier) of “coaching” is used to refer to
    training activities that have nothing to do with coaching.
    </font></font></font>

<font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>This
    is what troubles me with some of the websites I researched. While
    they give lip service to the importance of interacting with
    Nature—this surrounded with stunning photos of wilderness
    scenes—only a few of the sites offering Nature-Connected coaching
    seem to grasp this concept. It may be that attendees to these
    operations have life-changing experiences as a result of their
    participation in these programs, but if Nature-Connected Coaching as
    a modality for inner growth is going to be truly effective in
    changing our collective relationship with our Earth Mother, then a
    deeper, more Self, Soul, Spirit approach to interactive collaboration
    with Nature is needed.</font></font>

</style>

• John

December 5, 2021 at 11:32 am

</style>

<font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>Foundation
    4 – Forum Discussion
    </font></font>

<font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>When
    you think about coaching and/or guiding others, who comes to mind?
    What is the population that most excites you, and why? </font></font>
    </font>

<font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>Like
    Sara, I believe that a nature-connected youth is sorely needed if we
    are to manifest positive change in our own lives and to cultivate a
    long-lost reverence for our Earth Mother. But when I think about
    coaching and guiding others, the group that comes to mind are older,
    young adults who are, for the most part, “out of the nest” and
    are trying to navigate this crazy, neurotic culture we’ve created. I
    see a lot of this age group—my wife has over a hundred young
    employees in her five restaurants, ranging in age from 18 to 40. I
    have interacted with many of these folks, and I can tell you that
    many of them are struggling to find meaning in everyday life. Many
    seem to have a disconnectedness from the world, no overall plan in
    life, no soulful Vision. I believe these are perfect candidates for
    nature-based connection. (As I write this, though, I do think I
    would consider working with any age person who approaches me about
    wanting to learn how to interact with Nature to better understand
    their-self and to formulate actions and goals to achieve a more
    fulfilling life).</font></font>
    </font>

do you imagine working with them?</font></font>
    </font>

have the good fortune to own a 65-acre farm property with fields,
    forests and ponds. It is located in a very rural location, surrounded
    by hundreds of acres of undeveloped woodland. My wife and I (with
    help) raise grass-fed beef and pastured pork, and we grow organic
    vegetables and cut flowers, all for use in my wife’s restaurants. I
    can envision developing programs centered around the farm operation,
    but also programs that rely on the wilderness aspect of the land,
    too. In fact, my vision for my practice will definitely include a
    wilderness-connection component, and when I complete the NCC training
    I plan to seek certification through EBI as a Transformational
    Wilderness Guide. I believe it can be said that many urban/suburban
    young adults have very little experience with time in the wilderness.
    I speak from my own experience when I say that the wilderness in a
    vast and fertile ground for facilitating personal transformation and
    growth.

</font></font></font>

<font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>What
    would be the common categories of goals that you foresee them working
    towards?</font></font>
    </font>

see my clients working generally toward a positive change in
    consciousness where they become better connected and in contact with
    Self. By developing full sensory awareness and attunement to the
    present moment, self-discovery, goal-setting, creating outcomes, and
    personal change are facilitated. And by guiding my clients to bring
    Vision together with their dreams, then the dreams become more
    powerful. And finally, eliciting personal responsibility and
    accountability to achieve agreed goals will help keep the client on
    the path the have created for their Self.</font></font>
    </font>

would you like to collaborate with nature to support their awareness
    and success?</font></font>
    </font>

<font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>Ceremony
    is key to guiding our clients into a collaborative relationship with
    Nature and toward a deeper connection with Self. There are so many
    ways to do ceremony while one is immersed in Nature! I especially
    enjoy the Wander ceremony because it can be mission-based (as in
    seeking the answer to a specific question or need) or it can be
    mission-less (as in being open to learning something new). The Sit
    Spot will be an essential ceremony to introduce to my clients as a
    daily routine. There are also many “severance” ceremonies that
    can draw on objects in Nature which can serve as metaphors for
    aspects of our own lives; there is magic in the way natural objects
    or settings can jump out at us with just the answers we are seeking,
    appearing to us simply by us showing up and tuning in. I am also
    interested in collaborating with nature on full-day and multi-day
    outings with my clients who are ready for a longer, more intimate
    experience in wilderness.</font></font>
    </font>

<font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”2″><font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>Also,
    search the web and share with us a few examples of individuals or
    organizations who work with similar populations. Add to your post, a
    comparative critique of these organizations based on what you know
    about Nature-Connected Coaching. </font></font>
    <font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>
    </font></font>
    </font></font>

<font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>Mynaturelink.org</font></font></font><font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>:
    </font></font></font>
    <font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>Lots
    of talk about going deeper and connecting with one’s entire
    self—which is defined as including one’s “…thoughts,
    feelings/emotions, actions, spirit, and body…” –to create
    lasting change. Also talk about “The Full Self (mind, body, soul,
    spirit)” process used to create “…solidified direction,
    inspiration, and solutions that guide the client in a collaborative
    way.” These goals align well with what we are doing at EBI, but
    little mention is given to connecting with Nature other than
    “…working with the natural world.”
    </font></font></font>

<font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>DancingMountainStorm.com</font></font></font><font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>:
    </font></font></font>
    <font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>Offers</font></font></font><font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>
    </font></font></font>
    <font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>Nature-Connection
    coaching in addition to several other modalities. There is a good
    page which describes Nature-Connected coaching as “…
    </font></font></font>
    <font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>blending
    the skills and techniques of professional life coaching with the
    unique skills of transformational wilderness work. Working in nature,
    we collaborate with the natural world to inspire self-discovery and
    support authentic, meaningful change. Through
    nature-connected coaching, you enhance your well-being and connection
    not only to yourself but also the natural world.” The coach, Joelle
    Dunaetz, lists an impressive number of credentials including
    certification as an NCC through EBI.
    </font></font></font>

<font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”2″><font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>Awarenesswithnature.com</font></font><font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>:
    “</font></font>
    <font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>Resilience
    Coaching Through Nature”… uses the word “nature” frequently
    on the main website but there isn’t much more information about the
    actual modalities used. There are 2 separate subsidiary websites that
    offer business coaching and group retreats. This seems like a great
    way to collaborate with non-NCC coaches to cast a wide net for
    potential clients.
    </font></font>
    </font></font>

<font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”2″><font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>A</font></font>aronrentfrew.com<font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>:
    </font></font>
    <font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>A
    compelling website. Not much talk about connecting with nature, but
    an implication that adventure in unique natural settings can
    facilitate great leaps in positive growth. I was impressed enough
    with this site that I recommended it to my youngest son who is
    unhappy with his current career path and is having trouble charting
    his next step.
    </font></font>
    </font></font>

<font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”2″><font color=”#000000″><font size=”3″>
    Use
    citations from assigned readings (or other resources), your
    experience over the weekend, and your past experience to discuss your
    perspective.
    </font></font>
    <font size=”3″> </font></font></font>

<font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>Way
    back in the mid-eighties of the last century, having become
    disillusioned with my chosen career in forest management, I took a
    position with my local nature center. I was convinced that the
    environmental issues we face as a society can never be solved without
    educating younger generations about how life works on the planet. I
    took some seminars and workshops in environmental education, only to
    realize that most of what was offered focused on labeling things in
    nature, and not so much on ecology. There was something missing in
    the experiences we were providing for young and old alike. As stated
    on the International Coaching Federation’s (ICF) website, web
    searches for “Nature Coaching” often bring up references to
    “…coaching sessions
    carried out in the natural environment”

and/or “…experiences
    of outdoor training or experiential learning.”
    In
    a post by Diana Tedoldi on the ICF website, I found the following to
    be spot on:</font></font>

<font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″> In
    the first case
    [above},
    Nature is considered simply in its bucolic/idyllic aspect capable of
    generating relaxation and aesthetic enjoyment in the coachee through
    sounds, scents and panoramas. Numerous scientific researches
    demonstrate that these aspects positively impact our well-being. But
    the role assigned to Nature, in this case, is reductive. Nature has
    value in and of itself, beyond its usefulness for people. From this
    anthropocentric perspective, Nature is still conceived as exclusively
    at the service of man. And anthropocentrism is what we need to
    overcome now, to guarantee a future for humankind and life on Earth.
    </font></font></font>

<font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>Tedoldi
    goes on:</font></font></font>

<font color=”#000000″><font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>In
    both cases, Nature is considered a mere container and background of
    experience and not an active subject, alive and participating in the
    coaching relationship. In both cases, the focus is exclusively on
    the benefits caused by Nature to people. In the second case, the
    term (perhaps trendier) of “coaching” is used to refer to
    training activities that have nothing to do with coaching.
    </font></font></font>

<font face=”Calibri, sans-serif”><font size=”3″>This
    is what troubles me with some of the websites I researched. While
    they give lip service to the importance of interacting with
    Nature—this surrounded with stunning photos of wilderness
    scenes—only a few of the sites offering Nature-Connected coaching
    seem to grasp this concept. It may be that attendees to these
    operations have life-changing experiences as a result of their
    participation in these programs, but if Nature-Connected Coaching as
    a modality for inner growth is going to be truly effective in
    changing our collective relationship with our Earth Mother, then a
    deeper, more Self, Soul, Spirit approach to interactive collaboration
    with Nature is needed.</font></font>

• Lindsay

December 7, 2021 at 9:42 am

When you think about coaching and/or guiding others, who comes to mind? What is the population that most excites you, and why?

I am leaning more and more towards the desire to work with individuals who are in mid-life transitions, who have a fair amount of life experience and who may be confronting issues related to family fracture, mother/fatherhood, and life path shift of focus, whether that be career change, dream fulfilment or attitude shift. I am also interested in people who are hoping to make healthy lifestyle shifts, such as quitting substance use and staying empowered in that decision, or adopting a more physical healing lifestyle through body awareness/movement practice. Working with people who are open to exploring creative modes of threshold experiences interests me as well overall. Additionally, I have found my practice sessions with local clients much more rewarding if they come into the process being particularly curious about the nature-connected aspect.

How do you imagine working with them? What would be the common categories of goals that you foresee them working towards?

I imagine that in tandem with discussion, reflection, and insight/clarity around a topic/goal, I will regularly incorporate nature-based creative exercises, movement explorations in nature, and possibly art materials. I have one client who spontaneously adds her desire to sing during her nature wanders or meditations. So I am open to any creative healing modes of coaching, and with the ultimate goal of those experiences be immersed in and with nature. I aim to always have some sort of “activity” or action or “experiment” within the coaching sessions I have had so far.

I imagine some common categories of goals to work towards would be: to cultivate a deep love and trust of oneself in the challenging transitions some folks may be going through, to gain confidence in listening to and fine tuning one’s intuition, and to generate enthusiasm and energy to move forward in helping goals be realized.

How would you like to collaborate with nature to support their awareness and success?

I would like to definitely incorporate awareness practices in nature and inspiration from nature, by being in nature during sessions (ideally), and interacting within, practicing with, and being aware of nature’s messages/symbols/influence actively with all senses engaged. I will invite my clients to imagine their own ideas of how to do this, and, if asked for suggestions, introduce the concept of wandering and exercises that guide the client through guided sensory awareness explorations/observations.

Included web search and discussion of examples of individuals or organizations who work with similar populations.

There are organizations like AA that support folks to get sober/ stay sober and reach sobriety goals and undergo lifestyle changes. There are also specific life-coaching recovery services such as http://www.riahealth.com. The framework of making goals and supporting folks in reaching them through working with the 12 steps, and also through tools such as meditation techniques and peer coach/sober companion coaching seem to be the general descriptions of these programs, either online or in person. I would like to expand the healing to include nature (preferably in person), the broader universe, and the natural supportive energy sources that are surrounding us wherever we are. I hope that an added component of the immediate environment as another supportive force would come through strongly in my coaching, so a client learns they can access support, clarity, or motivation no matter where they are or who they are with. They can learn to access their trust in and experience with the natural world, oftentimes right out their own door.

At http://www.Hellodivorce.com I found information on how to work with a life coach when going through divorce. As most life-coaching descriptions go, they emphasize the identification of goals, setting smart goals, and implementing action. Again, I would add the nature experiences and looking to nature to support within the process. Again, talking and processing issues to lead to change and self-empowerment are well-intentioned and successful, but I believe the added dimension of nature work and tapping a client’s creative and meditative parts will be an additional support and inspiration to stick to goals and take solid actions to achieve them. I believe including nature in the process will help develop and maintain hope, optimism, and encouragement.

• Sara Brells

December 7, 2021 at 12:03 pm

Ah, Lindsay! This sounds so you. I see how you are weaving your unique passions, experiences and skillsets into the ceremony of nature-connected coaching. It is so exciting and inspiring to hear how this is unfolding for each individual, as I get to know each of you better, and see the ways it aligns with who you are at your core. What a difference already from how we all showed up at Foundations, unsure of how to make this “our own!” I look forward to hearing more about your experiences and vision next week when we are back in-person. 🙂

• Hannah

December 7, 2021 at 7:41 pm

Summary Post:

I have loved being apart of this module. As I get to know each co-student more, their gifts and ways of serving in the world make so much sense with whom they all are at a deeper level. One’s dharma fully shines here!

My take aways are there are so many avenues you can take coaching, and it can always change. There is not just one path to go down. For me there are specific pulls into certain areas of focus, but not a narrow solid way to go down. Which feels comforting and freeing to allow myself to have a medium-narrowed path instead of a pencil thin path.

Thank you everyone for sharing whom you feel called to work with, it is a true pleasure and honor to read!

• Sara Brells

December 8, 2021 at 10:26 pm

Summary Post

In reviewing my notes from Foundations 4 in Gunnison, I’m recognizing this portion of the Coaching Ceremony is an area I would like to grow stronger in. Sure, I can guide a client through the SMART goals process at the end of the session. But the art and science of facilitating an experience with high threshold energy that fuels creative ideas and solutions, guiding back into a meaningful planning stage connected to new beliefs and images of ideal self? Yea, I haven’t done that yet with a practice client. And that’s ok – like others of you have said, this process is messy and imperfect and beautiful just as it is. AND, I want to dig into this portion of the ceremony, because it just might be the most impactful part, and it is definitely a unique part to NCC – weaving together the threshold with actionable changes. I would like to begin by revisiting the recordings from those days of the Foundations training. Anyone else want to join me? 😉

In the meantime, I’m going to use this forum to try to summarize and make sense of my notes for each of the stages of incorporation.

Integration

A successful threshold experience will generate a lot of energy in the client, which as the guide is important for us not only to be aware of, but also to elevate our own baseline with them. This space fuels expansive thinking: creativity, solutions, and visions that may not otherwise break through the client’s typical Thinking Mind. While thoughts influence emotions, emotions drive thoughts: and that is where a powerful Threshold experience can press

STOP

On a looping record of thoughts influencing emotions that don’t serve the client.

Threshold can create NEW emotions,which then drivie NEW thoughts, that all lead to their ability to be a new way, to begin showing up as that Ideal Self.

During this stage, as the guide, I need to feel into what will benefit that particular client:

Movement

Quiet reflection

Guiding them inwards, “notice what that feels like in your body”

Create a mantra, Soul Image (Ideal Self), or affirmation that harnesses the energy and imagery of Threshold, something that anchors

Developing a “powerful question” to train their mind to focus on, a question that will support them in holding onto their vision and staying in alignment (Side note, I’d like more examples of what this sounds like…I have a note to myself, ‘Powerful questions are like what I ask my tarot deck’ – things like, “What energy do I need to harness to ________ today/this week/this month”)

Planning

This is the stage at which energy starts to settle back into a more logical, verbal place – a little closer to the day to day reality, the thinking mind kicking into gear. This is the time to debrief, stitching what they learned and experienced in Threshold to their deeper need and desired outcomes for the session, and begin to turn them into tangible goals. This is also the time to support and encourage their belief in self, their belief in their ability to achieve their vision – and this is when their “WHY” comes into the picture. What are their goals, and why those goals? How are those things moving them closer to their vision? What would happen if they didn’t do it? A clearly defined “why” is what will keep clients motivated between sessions: anchoring into what they are moving towards (embodied in threshold), what would happen if no change occurred, and how these changes are moving them toward that vision.

While as the coach we may share ideas or suggestions, this part must come from the client – if they feel told to do it, it most likely wont happen. We can support chunking large goals into milestone to celebrate, bringing in SMART and backwards design (my teacher part) to determine realistic steps that close the gap between who they are and who they want to be. Their incorporation needs to exist in the stretch zone, and we can guide this with challenging questions, like, “How will you practice [this way of being] at home? “What are you up against?” And guiding them to tie an expansive emotion to their goal, the feeling they want – because whatever they end up doing, how they are being while doing it is what matters.

Accountability

One note that feels important to highlight is a note to self about destigmatizing “relapse.” We will snap back into old ways of being multiple times as we work to forge new pathways. I experience it almost daily. And that is OK. In each snap back are learnings, and as the coach, we can guide the client through navigating those messages and adjusting for the next step forward.

Returning to the original prompt for this module, this question has stuck with me: How would you like to collaborate with nature to support their awareness and success? Recently while wandering the neighborhood with my dog, something stood out to me: I do want a part of my coaching style to focus explicitly on supporting the client in developing a deeper, authentic relationship with the natural world. Not just with Nature as a co-guide, but also as a focus of sessions. Both because I believe that slowing down to the pace of Nature allows clients to drop in and listen to their inner knowing, and because my Activist part firmly believes that remembering our inherent connection with the natural world is a radical way of living on earth, and is the way we need to be to cultivate positive social change.

So a little piece of clarity around my ideal client: women who are seeking to deepen their connection with the natural world, both explicitly and implicitly through the ceremony.

• Liv

May 9, 2022 at 3:16 pm

Sara—I really appreciated how in the “Planning” section you brought this back to the “why” for your clients—why is this important to them, and that question of what would happen if they didn’t do this—very powerful! I recently experienced this as a client in a nutrition session with a coach (not EBI but definitely ICF-like!). He asked me why eating healthy, etc. was important to me, and as I was answering it really increased my motivation for follow-through.

You are so thorough and thoughtful in your responses—quite inspiring to me, so thank you!

• Lindsay

December 10, 2021 at 11:59 am

Summary/takeaway:

Wow, I am impressed with everyone’s contemplation on ideal clients and proposed ways of working with them. I am looking forward to discovering who my ideal clients will be. I have coached a variety of folks over the past couple months, and have come to realize this is an ongoing learning experience. I’ve found that the type of attitudes my clients come in with is important to me. For example, I’m not sure if I have it in me to convince skeptics about the nature-connected component of the coaching, but I am up for the challenge. I’m also finding it interesting that my co-hort members all seem to choose ideal clients I imagine they feel they can relate to the most, including myself. It is a testament to the fact that we can take our individual life experiences, both challenging and rewarding, and apply our knowledge and insight to others we feel we could support. Clients who are similar to us in life status, life experience, ages we relate to, groups we have worked with previously, folks who have struggled with the same things we have; these factors seem to influence who we feel we want to work with. I am inspired by the deep empathy we are individually tapping, from our closest source of understanding others.

• John

December 18, 2021 at 10:48 am

Great post, Lindsay. Wow, those last few sentences are stellar!

• John

December 18, 2021 at 11:06 am

Foundation 4 – Forum Summary Post

At time goes on in the training, my idea of the ideal client shifts around a bit. Sometimes I think of working with youth because I feel that population is in dire need of Nature connection. Then I consider young adults, say 20-30 agers, that I also feel could really benefit from Nature-connection. I also like the idea of working with older-aged populations, too. Then I realize that’s a very broad group. Should I focus on a certain socioeconomic group? Related to that, do I want my practice to be founded on the ability of the potential client to pay a higher fee than others are able to pay? Or are there other ways to look at this?

As I expand my practice coaching it seems that I am picking up new clients simply by word of mouth. They come from different backgrounds and experience. At this point in the process, I am comfortable with that. While I know these practice clients very casually, but not closely, it seems to me working with them would be easier than working with a complete stranger, especially at this point in my training. Kind of similar to what Lindsay says at the end of her summary:

Clients who are similar to us in life status, life experience, ages we relate to, groups we have worked with previously, folks who have struggled with the same things we have; these factors seem to influence who we feel we want to work with.

So many possibilities! For me, it’s steady-as-she goes. My vision is out there, still a bit cloudy, but there are crystal clear glimpses that punctuate the scene ahead. It’s a kind of alchemy, I guess, and I trust my process (go Toni). I have a knowing feeling that it will all come together in time.

• Liv

May 9, 2022 at 3:34 pm

John—So many of the things you touched upon resonated with me. Re: ability to pay, I’ve been thinking about reserving a certain number of discount sessions each month that I can offer to those with financial need (e.g., maybe 2-3 per month). I might not advertise them per se but offer if it comes up.

I love that you are getting clients via word of mouth so easily. I haven’t done much practice coaching outside of EBI yet and am also drawn to practice coaching friends of friends (I remember staff advising us to not coach people we know *really* well); it feels like friends of friends would be a good first (and dareIsay friendly) step.

I also recognize the many possibilities that are out there and am working on trusting the process—keeping the vision alive as things start to come into focus and as we gain clarity on where we’d like to go from here :-).

• Toni Blanton

January 23, 2022 at 6:46 pm

When I think about coaching others I think about people that are curious and have started yearning for what’s possible in their life. Some people will reach that edge because they want to leave something behind, others will want to add something, many will have tried a thing or two (or twelve!) but the consistent thread is their curiosity and yearning for change.

I’m also excited to create opportunities for people to be more connected to nature and the world around them. To nurture curiosity and connection. I envision creating nature experiences at our local parks and wilderness areas. Morning walks out by the bay to watch the seals and eagles in the stillness of the morning. Quiet walks through old growth forests to feel the way the ancients hum. Ceremonies under the full moon to release what they’re ready to let go of. The possibilities are limitless!

To the extent possible, I’d like to work with clients on the land. I’m blessed in that I have easy access to many beautiful areas. Looking back through foundations, I’m drawn to the idea of the 50/50 plan and being aware of nature to show up at any point in a session and spontaneously contribute to the experience.

In my past experiences working with clients in other modalities, the right clients always find me. People that I can help that also have something to teach me. It always works out and the less I try to figure it out, the easier it is for us to connect.

In terms of finding my ideal clients, I believe that if I stand in my own power, in the my truth, my clients and I are drawn to each other in perfect timing.

One group that I’m particularly interested in working with are my colleagues and former students from my nutrition training. As a graduate and instructor, I saw a need in that community that isn’t being met. Graduates receive an education in the practice of nutritional therapy as well as some business training. But they aren’t getting any coaching on how they become the practitioner they want to be. It’s a gap I’ve envisioned filling for many years, that now seems possible.

I’m also part of a group of practitioners with a widely varied background that are all serving a similar population. Our backgrounds and area of practice are highly varied, from functional medicine doctors, massage therapists, Reiki masters, human design experts, nutrition professionals, herbalists and a variety of other modalities. But we all work with similar types of people and often refer between group members.

I’ve also recently become aware of an organization called Wild Grief located in my town. They are doing wilderness experiences with people going through the grieving process. The information on their website seems to imply they have a focus on grief caused from the death of a loved one. They have groups for adults and youth. While their work seems closely aligned with our work as coaches, the credentials of their staff seem to be more therapy focused but they also rely on volunteers. So I’ll be reaching out to them in the future to see about possible connections or maybe volunteering.

• Toni Blanton

January 29, 2022 at 5:08 pm

Summary

In reflecting on this question after my initial post, I have a few things to add.

I’m currently undergoing the physiological transition from mother to crone. I’ve found that there is very little discussed or share about this transition and our medical community treats is a condition to eliminate. I recently found a class called the Alchemy of Menopause about honoring that sacred initiation of the crone with ceremony. It really spoke to me and has me wondering how I might support this community in a way that honors the physical, emotional and spiritual aspects of the transition. Its been a challenging experience for me and I consider myself fairly well resourced compared to the world at large. I can’t imagine what its like to go through with less resourcing, capacity and support. I’d like to find a way to provide support.

I’ve also found a few more organizations that I find interesting and likely serving a similar community.

Wildkind Academy is located in Olympia, WA. The founder has a background in nutrition, exercise physiology and yoga. She’s offering individual sessions in multiple package options with prices posted on her site. It also appears she intends to offer classes at some point.

EarthWalk Northwest was founded by a couple that taught at Tom Brown Jr.’s Tracker School. They have a wide variety of offerings as well as other recommended programs and suggested readings. I look forward to exploring what they have to offer.

Washington Outdoor Women offers programs to connect women with the outdoors.

Wilderness Awareness School offers programs for children and adults covering a range of nature connected areas.

• Cecile Bonnet

February 28, 2022 at 10:30 am

Hi Tony,

I absolutely love your idea of helping other women going through this important stage in life. I think there is a need and like you said there is currently little support in this area. I remember my mom going through this transition with hot flush and emotional change and clearly struggling. She didn’t have much connection nor support and didn’t know how to handle it. I think this is a great niche to focus on and would definitely interest women. So exciting to see all what we have to offer individually and our specific niches in the market.

• Liv

May 9, 2022 at 3:44 pm

I totally agree with Cecile, Toni—what a wonderful support you would be for women going through this transition. I have been listening to a variety of podcasts on menopause and what women should know (how is it that information has been so scarce?).

My sweetie found some inspiration from this book too (The Women’s Wheel of Life: https://elizabethdavis.com/books/the-womens-wheel-of-life-thirteen-archetypes-for-every-woman/)—have you heard of it

Page 1 of 2
Reply to: Ivy Walker
Cancel
Your information:

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now