Home Forums Long Term Coaching Models (May 2020) Discussion Forum

• Melody Rose

June 15, 2020 at 11:22 pm

Matt, reading about how you bring a long term outlook to your clients knowing you have a maximum of 3 months to work with them had me thinking of how each session I have with a client wether it’s one or many, that them seeing that we are guiding them to long term wellness is important for them to know and for our coach/client relationships. And “bookmarking” for them to their other support people sounds like it could be so impactful and a way they can bring nature connection into their other therapies as well.

• Matthew Nannis

June 17, 2020 at 5:02 pm

Hey Mel! “Long term coaching enhances my coaching presence by being able to focus on the current path and being able to make a note of something that may be able to be explored deeper in a future session. So we can both be more focused. I can hold a better container with more space for my client to explore because I know there will be another session to get back to something if we need to. I will listen for where my client is in a cycle of change in the current session but also in the program as a whole.” This is a perspective that resonates fully with me and my integration process with this portion of the intensive. I keep hearing the dude from Gladiator yell out to the main character before he enters the Coliseum “SHADOWS AND DUST!” This approach, as it allows and enhances the guide’s presence with the client and a more vast healing container for the journey has been such an exciting and unanticipated result of this material in such a short time. I am excited to read/hear more about how you might formally incorporate LNT into the NCC work that you are/continue to do, as well! That is something that I am continuing to explore over here in Asheville with our client pool: leveraging the benefits experienced in sessions – both immediate and longer term – into stewardship! Keep me posted!

• taylor.j.short

June 18, 2020 at 7:54 am

Kim,

I love the idea of group coaching this way! And I super love the simple goal of having an ongoing check in mental/physical/spiritual… I want that! Your whole post reminded me of “stepping into the unknown” and figuring it out as you go. One of my areas of opportunity for sure. And lastly… a water wander?! I am coming to see you to do just that! Seriously amazing!

• taylor.j.short

June 18, 2020 at 8:01 am

Sheri! I love that you have your HARMONY modality! What a beautiful backbone to build on. And Yes, I so agree with you on the front-loading. I just did that this week with a new client looking at LTC. Feels like that simply makes sense. What I do REALLY love is your idea of accountability groups following. I am looking at some workshops and programs in the corporate arena and I think that a opt-in accountability group as a continuing focus would be perfect. Can’t wait to see how it all unfolds for you! Inspiring!

• Matthew Nannis

June 18, 2020 at 3:06 pm

SUMMARY POST:
    This online discussion has truly informed the behind-the-curtain elements of my work as well as adding to some fascinating insights into the work that all of you are doing. What comes up for me in reflection is that there is a thread of evolving from the limitations or presumed limited applicability of long-term coaching as an approach to client sessions towards the lens of long-term coaching enhancing not only the overall approach with clients, but also being present as a guide for each individual session with clients. The cohorts thinking is so forward and engaging and exciting (it’s contagious!) I have been in a number of discussions with people in the recovery field around the union of what’s called the acute-care model of treatment, where the individual deemed to require alcohol and drug treatment is removed from the environment; quarantined, so to speak, for 30/60/90 days; given information about the disease model and some skills and new behaviors to model and incorporate; and then is returned to the same environment or a totally new one without much further engagement. The other approach, which I feel is more aligned with the work that all of us are embracing in our own ways, is called the recovery management model, where by the facilitators, supports, and peers are involved in the healing the community and the individual as a member of that community. If anyone here is familiar with Don Coyhis’ (Mohican Nation) and his White Bison Wellbriety movement? It basically drums down to (oversimplification coming!) we cannot pull the tree from the poisoned soil, trim and prune the tree and replant it without also tending to the soil! It is a community effort; it is a big picture/long-term effort. It challenges dichotomy approaches of success/failure, good/bad, healthy/unhealthy. It acknowledges a continuum of journey, of progress being subjective, of healing being anything-but-linear.
    I do not consider this as a tangent, but rather a valuable overlay for me in the applicability of what we covered during the May intensive and how it relates to my work with PIVOTPoint WNC. The added impact of long-term coaching module for me is this amazing amount of space that I have grown aware of in holding space for groups. I am amped to continue to explore both in-the-moment perspectives and a 1000’ perspective while engaging in client-led healing and growth. So stoked!

• Sheri

June 21, 2020 at 9:40 pm

Summary Post – I had an ah-ha moment the other morning around LTC. It was a bit like a flash of realization and I am still working through the processing of this image so bear with me a bit here. The clients I have worked with thus far have all been scheduling one session at a time. Several of those I have coached over multiple months. What is the difference between a long term client and LTC? All of these sessions thus far have had a singular focus. An issue or topic discussed during the session, a plan made and worked on, accountability held till the next session. The next session was just assumed, often scheduled on the spot and sometimes held or possibly postponed. The big difference is we didn’t have a big overarching goal. A purpose for our sessions beyond they felt a need to meet, got something out of it and wanted to meet again. So while we are tracking our steps along the path we are not clear on where we are ultimately heading. We don’t have an X marked on the map to strive towards and we don’t have a timeline with it. So right now we are exploring, wandering, which is all well and good but moving without a why does not provide the motivation to keep at it when something else comes up. It is very easy to postpone because we don’t have a deadline or timeframe keeping us working towards that big goal. It is easy to postpone when money is tight and they don’t have a strong purpose or see the benefit of these sessions moving them to the X marking the spot. Without establishing that why or big goal with the client I have nothing to motivate or guide them towards. I think the idea has been avoided by me because having a big goal, their why, stated and a timeframe established puts an end date to our sessions. Leaving it open means they may never end, of course, they may not book the next one either. This has me really thinking about the big picture, the clients why, what’s in it for them, not just me getting “practice.” I always feel like our sessions have take-aways and ah-ha’s for them, but it often feels like a one and done. Feels like this is slowly clicking in. I will approach clients with establishing a map, co-creating intention and a timeline. The milestones that provide us with landmarks of growth along the way. My hope is that as one big goal is achieved the next map can be formed and we can climb the next mountain together too!

• Melody Rose

June 21, 2020 at 11:17 pm

I had an interesting experience this weekend with a client who’d purchased a gift certificate from a fundraiser. She had a choice between a group Forest Bathing walk and a NCC session. She originally said she wanted a forest bathing walk, but then said a coaching walk so I went with that. Part way through the session she said something along the lines of asking for a sign in the way of seeing a wood pecker today to show her she’s on the right track. I found myself thinking she’d better see a wood pecker or she won’t want any more coaching sessions with me. She did not see a woodpecker on our walk, but at he end I did offer her 3 sessions at a discounted price if she was interested. She emailed me the next day saying that that evening she was on a walk and saw a woodpecker and she was so excited so she wanted to tell me and said our session was helpful, I replied reminding her of my offer and set some parameters around it.
    I think that what this meant to me in terms of LTC is that going into a meeting with a new client my intention is to guide them as best I can in this 1 session while at the same time knowing there is a possibility and likelihood there will be more sessions whether it’s 3 sessions, 3 months, a year,… Knowing from the start that the client is a long term client opens up more possibility for deeper connection, growth, healing, action, etc. Long term coaching helps clients see their vision and gives them the opportunity and space to create it. As a coach I can share in seeing their vision alongside them and that’s exciting and an honour. With a LTC client there is more space for curiosity, exploration and discovery.
    There are many LTC models to choose from and I like that I don’t have to reinvent the wheel.

• Nadine

June 22, 2020 at 12:10 am

SUMMARY POST
    I am glad that the concept of long term planning was presented to us so that I am in a position to elaborate the shell of a long term program that could be used as a base to tailor for each client. In all honesty though, I feel pretty anxious presenting a long term plan to any new clients at this point, and my current position is to wait until I am more established in terms of number of clients coached and my ability to consistently show I can deliver results for my clients. Being able to create a plan that looks and smells like delivering results will, I suspect, be the key to enrolling my clients effortlessly.

Prochaska’s five stages of change model is a great tool for coaches creating a long term program with their clients. Not only it provides coaches with an understanding of how and when behaviors can be altered and why clients may struggle, fail, or quit. It also helps facilitate the discussion with the client when it comes to creating a long term coaching plan. It is important to identify the stage of change that clients may be in when they first come to coaching. From there, the model can greatly help in explaining the process of change, and the fact that the client can be in different stages of change for different areas or behaviors in their life or even explain that it could take iterating through the five different phases several times for the client to reach her goals. This can lead to discussing some of the techniques that are appropriate and when to use them, and also addressing the frequency of the coaching sessions, etc. This would invite the coach and the client to have a conversation and create a plan that is accepted by both.

I also feel like the 8-Shield model is a great way to weave in nature in a long term plan discussion, as it is based on the patterns that can be observed in nature, allowing to categorize these patterns and apply them in a variety of settings. Not only Nature is a powerful teacher, but most clients will be able to relate to the basic cycles including the phases of the day and the seasons that are easy to observe. With this model it becomes possible to effectively map many of the phases and relationships occurring in nature to the journey of the client to reach her goal.

• Kim Gilchrist

June 22, 2020 at 8:40 pm

SUMMARY POST
    This has really been an interesting module and the discussion lively. The different tacts that each of us has taken with it is just really cool. Everyone taking parts of this and making it work for them!

The four directions as life phases that we discussed in May’s intensive really hit home for where I’d like to be with my long term client planning. It fits so well from a teaching and coaching perspective. And such a simple way to easily explain to clients and let them explore with it. I envision this as a way to help them in the collaboration of what a long term program will mean for them in the context of what I’m offering. In fact, I like this so much I’m playing around with how to incorporate the idea potentially into the name of what this business is becoming.

I’m also continuing to refine more what the definition of long term really is for me after reading/being part of our discussions and the ideas that have been sparked. I expect many clients may feel a large chunk of time – 8 months, a year or more – may come across as a big commitment. So long term may come in a package format and/or a timeframe format in my business. I could see someone giving space for something like a 5 session package to try it out before making a longer commitment. In fact, as I said on the toolbox integration call, it may take 5 sessions to really figure out what the client is even looking for. Plus I may have offerings of smaller periods – 6 weeks, 3 months, etc. And/or a combo of in-person and online sessions. Still playing around with what this may be but finding that this can be truly unique to what is needed!

Finally, I’m finding the idea of long term clients allows for more space to explore. There is less pressure to go through the full ritual in every session. Maybe we do but maybe we don’t. Knowing that we will be able to meet again gives the time to let things come up naturally. And at the pace that is needed for each individual.

• taylor.j.short

June 30, 2020 at 4:02 pm

Summary Post:

I can truly say, this was my favorite forum to read. I deeply love seeing everyone’s styles, input and creativity come to life. Overall, the take away I continue to come back to here (at EBI) is that nothing is set in stone, be flexible, authentic and co-create the best plan that way with your client. I love that freedom and the ability to do it however feels truest for both parties. Looking forward to working with clients long term!

• Shari

July 10, 2022 at 7:14 am

LONG TERM Coaching Initial Post

My initial reaction to the idea of long term coaching and especially charging for it, fit my typical pattern of I don’t know enough and therefore am not good enough to be charging money. So I looked at myself from the perspective of immunity to change and recognized that instead of diving into coaching I keep reading and learning, everything but doing. My competing commitment is the standard I hold myself to. I have to be good enough and knowledgeable enough before I can charge. I also tend to live the martyr concept that of I’d rather hurt myself than someone else. The Big assumption is of course if I don’t know everything I need to know I won’t do a good job and therefore will not have clients or will lose them quickly. Similarly if I charge too much, I won’t have clients. The catch 22 is that without clients I will not have the opportunity to learn by doing and build on what I am learning and thereby hone my skills. With this awareness I tried to set the self-deprecation aside and dive in. My first attempt with Natalie as my client went very well. ..and gave me confidence. I created a structure that I still use today. It has plenty of room for change as I grow and learn, and room to be tailored to the client I am working with.

To establish the coaching relationship and determine if long term coaching is necessary…

I begin with a “discovery” phone call, just to determine if I feel I am capable of meeting the needs of the potential client as they expressed, the initial want. I have created an intake form with questions that I ask while on the phone. If all goes well I next offer a free introductory session.

The free introductory session is generally held outside, often sitting rather than walking and can last from 30 minutes to one hour. This provides me the opportunity to hear my client, listen for the deeper meaning and determine if they are looking for someone to help them with situational goals or developmental goals. I have found that often what looks like a situational goal is best approached developmentally. If appropriate this is explained during the session. In this way both me and my client have the opportunity to determine if we are a good fit.

Next I create a proposal/contract that provides the details of the how what and why of long term coaching, what Nadine and Sheri might refer to as the “shell of the program”.

This includes:

Review (of our conversations together): This section highlights the important points that came from my clients narrative. It serves both to let the client know she/he was heard and also serves as a mirror to the client to hear/look at her/himself.

Summary: This is essentially a succinct synthesis of the review narrowing it down to what I as the coach heard as the most important things to focus on in order to attain the client’s goals. This allows the client to give me feedback if he/she feels a need to redirect or confirm.

Proposal: This is the “how we go about it” section. I generally offer three transformational models I think would be suitable and helpful for the client. It is always explained in the context of Nature Connected Coaching and includes an explanation ofeach model and why it were chosen. I stick with 3 so as not to overwhelm but I also include a list of tools we may bring into our session and let them know that we can decide on these together overtime.

What I Suggest section: This includes length, frequency and payment. It also asks for a commitment of 6 months to give the client time to experience and process the coaching and to look at the milestones as they occur along the way. After 6 months we can reassess.

I also let the client know that my goal is to assist him/her to not need me anymore.

Here is an example from a proposal I wrote:

Each session will include a “practice” for you to maintain in between sessions so that you can continue to grow toward the person you want to be and live and so you can discover which tools work best for you.

Change requires commitment and so I ask that you give me and yourself a verbal commitment of 6 months to notice the effectiveness of coaching in your life.

The transformation you are seeking is developmental; it is a shift in consciousness and in your nervous system. It takes time to achieve. We will look for the milestones along the way and frequently reassess as we walk the path of transformation. I can’t tell you exactly how long it will take. I can tell you as you are more clearly able to hear your own inner voice and connect with that deeper knowing inside of yourself, you will have less need of an external guide”.

The session I did with Nadine around the LTC served to help bring together my skills as a massage therapist, health educator, and coach and to recognize my abilites. Reflecting on my history as a MT gives me patience and impetus to trust as I move into being a coach.

• Shari

August 10, 2022 at 10:32 am

SUMMARY POST for Long Term Coaching

Reading everyone’s posts was very enlightening and useful. Not only did it give me ideas it helped to shift my perspectives. The comfort level with charging and frontloading helped to normalize the concept for me. I loved Melody’s image when she said the flow of change is not a straight line. Metaphor is one of my favorite tools personally and with clients. And nature so markedly demonstrates this when you look at a stream or a river or even the puddles and tributaries that form from a hard rain. It also works well with Sheri’s concept that we bring the shell and the client supplies the guts. What it means to Fill in the shell often changes as different paths are explored and put into action to discover what works best (straight lines are rare). I find this concept foundational to the need for LTC. Noting the reflection between outer changes and inner awareness is a developmental process, I think it is important to give the client room for exploration and discovery. Taylor expressed and demonstrated this well throughout the posts. She is highly organized and structured (representing the container/shell) but she clearly states “ nothing is set in stone, be flexible, authentic and co-create the best plan that way with your client.”

I try to give myself this same freedom of exploration, awareness and even mistakes/falling (from Kim’s quote). I hear the discomfort in Nadine and Mel in having clients pay upfront for LTC and I feel it too. I hear both sides of the argument and while I get that for some people paying upfront commits them to the program it is still not within my comfort zone, largely because it is difficult for me when I am the client…yes I still am meandering around financial viewpoints. I have dealt with this to date, not by charging up front but by having clients’ sign a contract where they commit to 6 months of coaching. So far this has been honored by my clients.

Kim’s and Matt’s individual discussions concerning coaching with multiple people at one time was intriguing. I very much agree that this community approach allows participants to learn and grow from each other. And to potentially create a safe container to look at and process through one’s own stuff. I also like how Matt brought establishing communication with the client’s therapist into the a more well rounded approach to coaching that more fully engages and potentially benefits the client’s healing. This is a direction I am still envisioning as I move forward in my work with teenagers.

Finally, I love the way Kim applied the four directions to LTC. It’s simple eloquent and makes so much sense…and is easy to explain to clients. It is a clear and simple example of why to choose Nature Connected Coaching vs a more conventional approach to life coaching!

Page 2 of 2
Reply to: Ivy Walker
Cancel
Your information:

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now