Home Forums Partswork 2 Discussion Forum (Jan 2020)

• Cory Steele

March 25, 2020 at 3:26 pm

Summary Post
    Something that really hits for me after reading these, as well as experience, is that personal partswork is huge. It has been a big tool for creating a greater understanding within myself. Although I don’t use this in my actual coaching, I use it all the time for myself. I look at my mandala, and have a constant connection between soul and other parts. I might end up using this more in a professional setting in the future, but for now I am continuing to explore how I can best use this within myself.

• Adriana McManus

March 27, 2020 at 4:31 pm

*Initial Post*
    I have been working with two practice clients. I have realized when working on Partswork, it either resonates with the client or it doesn’t. I have however found that I can use Partswork creatively to fit in with the clients process.
    With one particular client, I was combining Integrative Manual Therapy and coaching to inspire insight into a particular emotion that was coming up. Our intention for the coaching was centered around communicating with her brother in a loving way despite the difference in political views. The discussion opened up with some tears and some mention of childhood memory. I had tried bring up different parts before and she didn’t really seem interested but in this moment, I asked her how old she felt. She connected with a particular age in childhood and I invited this child to voice what she had to say. We were working inside a room so there wasn’t a whole lot of interaction with nature but we were able to reflect on horses and what they represented in her life growing up.
    With my other practice client, he connected with a part of himself that created a lot of curiosity and the focus remained on understanding and discovering more about this particular part. We were able to bring in nature through use of a symbolic staff that represented the evolution of that part.
    With both clients, we established the intention and the deeper need. I presented the exercise of identifying multiple parts and dialoguing with the soul but there was no drive for my clients to do this. Instead, the deeper need was in understanding one part. Partswork doesn’t have to be one model but a concept to help the client understand where they are and what they are changing.
    I think in the future with both of these clients, there is opportunity to work with even more parts and working with one part could be a good ice breaker so to speak. The client has to feel a connection to this process. It will be interesting to continue to work with them and see if having worked with one part, they will be open to other parts.

• Adriana McManus

March 29, 2020 at 12:26 am

*Summary Post*
    Parts work is a great way to create self-discovery for a client. My take away from parts work is that it is a very creative process that can create an outlet for emotion, organization to the chaos of many different processes going on internally and awareness. I feel like I understand the tool but need to continuing practicing it to gain a sense of flow in the way I facilitate the process. What better way than to practice on myself as well!

• Kevin Nichols

April 25, 2020 at 6:35 pm

Partswork has been one of my favorite sections. Jumping right in I found that using nature blends very well when working with the parts of a client. We had the opportunity to go out on the land and use the environment to help symbolize my clients parts. Using physical objects in nature allowed for my client to really step into each of his parts and speak from that place. At first this seemed to be a bit of a struggle, having never done partswork before I could tell speaking from each individual part was a little uncomfortable and cumbersome. After using nature to guide the experience it made it easier for my client to embody each part and speak truly without other parts interrupting. This whole process seem to bring a clarity to my client that may not have been accessible before the exercise. Going back to the interview process. Even getting to know each part during the interview seemed to bring more understanding and direction with the decision my client was facing. I plan to use parts work in my practice on a regular basis, especially when it comes to internal conflict or facing big decisions. It continually surprises me how powerful partsowrk can be at unraveling the mind and making things simple, clear and direct. I find with in myself that when thoughts seem conflicting or confusing partswork is the best method to create clear thoughts and understanding regarding decisions or confusion.

• Joshua Maze

November 9, 2020 at 12:45 pm

Kevin,

Partswork is also one of my favorites. While it can be used anywhere, I find that this method works best outdoors. The coach and client need to have the space to move about and interact with the various parts and the soul. For me, having trees that were marked for removal, sturdy heavy rocks and strong healthy trees all representing different.

Like you, I find that I use Partswork to sort through my own internal conflicts. Which part of me is feeling this way? What does that tell me? I have a mandala up in my kitchen that reminds me of the relationship between my parts and my soul.
    I hope that in the time since writing these, you have been able to practice Partswork both in your own life and with clients.

• Joshua Maze

November 9, 2020 at 1:18 pm

Sandy,
    I wonder how the experience of Partswork via Zoom went for you. Sadly, many people right now are having to find their best method of coaching during the pandemic. Is it Zoom, phone, masked up and socially distant? This seems to be a challenging time for many. But I’m glad that it seems you were able to make it work.

Inviting her to use objects in her kitchen was a good idea. Not only did this exercise work in the moment, but she may be able to reflect back to this session later when she passes those salt and pepper shakers.

If anyone could make partswork work via Zoom with an 8-hour time difference, it would be you. You are a well skilled practitioner, and any client is fortunate to have you guiding them.

• Joshua Maze

November 25, 2020 at 1:15 pm

**Initial Post**

As I write this, I very far behind in my course work. I wonder which of my parts contributed to such procrastination. My soul though knows the importance of completing this course and the certification.

As I reflect on Partswork 2, I am reminded of my overall mental state. Which parts were coming to the forefront, if you will. I was not in a good head space. It is interesting though to look back and remember how my coach facilitated the session. It was helpful to see my parts in 3 dimensions, out on the land. I remember there were trees marked for removal that I used as parts that needed to be repurposed, tall strong trees used for my family centered parts, and a heavy stone as my soul—immovable and everlasting.
    The challenge I felt as the client was allowing all the parts, as well as the soul, a chance to speak. Many of the “bad” parts were angry and wanted to have the focus on them. (I later understood that there are no bad parts, only parts that needed to be repurposed). The soul (and my coach) gave those parts ample time to speak and helped facilitate a conversation around finding new ways to contribute to my life. The angry and anxious parts, for example, were protectors at their core. My coach helped find protector roles that were more aligned with the soul’s vision.

Partswork is by far my favorite tool used in coaching. Even though my career path has shifted, I still see an opportunity to use partswork as I work with new families. I could see this as a tool to help coach parents through the anxiety and apprehension around bringing a little one into the world.

• Joshua Maze

November 28, 2020 at 12:47 pm

**Final Post**

In looking at everyone’s post and listening to the recordings, I can tell that Partswork is something that excites and intrigues most of the cohort. I find the whole process fascinating and I love that it can be used in so many different settings, whether its out in nature, in a clinical office setting, in a board room, or in a client’s home.

One of the most powerful lessons that I learned though partswork was to honor each part for what the offer. There are no bad parts. And your soul doesn’t lie to you or try to shame you. For a long time, I felt like all of my parts were against me. Partswork has been a useful tool in checking in with himself and remembering that my parts are not against me. They may just need to be retooled and repurposed.

Partswork was my favorite topic, and I am glad that I got to experience it with this cohort.

• Sandy Shea

November 29, 2020 at 10:25 am

hi Josh,

I have been following your posts with interest and admiration and respect. Thank you for the reminder that there are no ‘bad’ parts.Sometimes I forget that. This was a valuable and timely reminder for me!

I hope you are well. Keep on truckin’.

xo,

Sandy

• Melissa Johnson

February 2, 2023 at 3:27 pm

Initial Post – I’m not currently working on a client but will be in the near future.

I would have to say Partswork was one of the most eye opening parts of EBI for me. While I’m not working with a client right now, I have talked about partswork to friends and coworkers. They usually get pretty excited to hear about what it is and how we can utilize it as a tool in our every day lives.

Most days we feel just like this one solid person and when I explain to someone about how each part plays a role in our life, they become intrigued and wanting to explore it more. I’ve worked with some friends on helping pull those parts out and guiding them towards naming and recognizing the parts. We discussed how the soul is the center and when you are coming from a place of judgement or negativity, that’s not the soul speaking, it’s a part, and it’s important to discover that part and see what’s coming up for it. I think the thing that most people sort of become shocked to hear is how no parts are bad parts, it’s just a part that is not currently serving you, and that has helped people to appreciate parts of themselves that they may have disliked previously.

In the future, I’d definitely like to use partswork as a guide to self discovery and self love. I think to love yourself is to love all of the parts about you and give them the recognition that they deserve. I believe helping guide someone to reach their soul directed place and speak to their parts will help that client create a relationship and a dialogue with themselves on a transcending level.

• Melissa Johnson

February 2, 2023 at 3:33 pm

Final Post: After reading everyone’s posts, it seems like that partswork really has connected for so many of us. We came to EBI wanting to learn to coach and help others, yet so many of us learned more about ourselves in the long run. My intention was to take the course, gain knowledge, resources and tools in order to create a coaching career to help others re-connect back to themselves. Instead, while I absolutely got those things, was a profound outlook on life, a new love for myself, and a world of self discovery.

At EBI, I discovered a specific part of me, which we named Peter Pan. I had always thought I was immature, or just wanted to stay a child forever and couldn’t really understand why until my soul spoke to that part. It then felt OKAY and a sense of relief of having this part and acknowledging it, and knowing it lives within me always and will come out from time to time.

The Mandala creation was really powerful and I will be using this tool with clients as well. I think seeing your parts in front of your face in a physical way, and being to re-arrange those parts day to day, is a helpful tool to connect with yourself in the morning, through out the day, or before bed. I think that this tool will be really helpful for my clients to create, and take home with them, and continue to use through out our working relationship.

Page 2 of 2
Reply to: Ivy Walker
Cancel
Your information:

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now