Home Forums Working with Trauma Discussion July 2020

• David Fontaine

October 12, 2020 at 3:16 pm

@Rollin, I feel incredibly grateful to have witnessed your transformation during this intensive. Not only was it beautiful to see but I learned a lot about how that process looks for someone. It was physically visible that something moved in a positive way for you. Loved your comment “I thought I was here to learn how to coach others”. I know that your experience during this intensive will be a direct tool for you to use with clients. Even when things unexpectedly become part of our own process during this course, those become extremely valuable to a coaches tool belt. I’m blown away by the experiences we’ve all had that have hit home for us and that is nature’s 50% contribution to Michael’s course curriculum. All valuable learning whether it comes out of the book or from our experience.

David

• James Huntley

March 15, 2021 at 8:04 pm

Thanks for your long unanswered questions, Rollin. BTW, I miss you, Buddy ;).
    I have been sharing the basic “map” of the work with prospective clients and our initial discovery meeting.
    Also, when I have more “in-depth” sessions (some may last a few hours), I usually have at least one, but often more, Integration specific follow-up sessions to see what they may have discovered in applying what they learned in the following weeks after threshold, and how they can shift to incorporating that new information into their lives as well. It appears that the lessons one learns by integrating a threshold into daily life, continue to ripple out, and I’m finding there is a lot of value in intentionally integrating those lessons as well.

• Deanna

April 27, 2021 at 8:20 pm

Initial Post:

Working with Trauma is my favorite module from the NCC course. Body-centered coaching and therapy makes most sense to me. In our intensive, I realized that I constantly sequencing trauma through my body without even consciously realizing it. I love expressing my body sensations through sounds, dance, sighs, and shaking. I am very familiar with expressing myself through my body, and I am so incredibly excited to continue to bring this into my practice with my clients.

I utilize the information from the Trauma intensive in nearly all my sessions. I typically open my coaching sessions with a resourcing practice, such as a body scan meditation or connecting the body with the ground. Starting sessions with a resource helps both my client and my self drop deeper into the present moment. I also love to connect my client’s with their body when they speak about a past story or mythic image. I ask them to express their story or deeper need through their body movement, and I mirror them. I have them sequence the trauma from their past by expressing their stories through the body (i.e. shaking, vocalizing, etc). I also really love asking my clients to find something in nature that reminds them of their issue, their story, or their want and deeper need. Connecting them with the metaphors in their external environment helps them sequence the trauma and see new possibilities for their mythic image. Recently, I have been involved in offering Ecstatic Dance events to my community, and I’m really interested in integrating NCC work with Ecstatic Dance. Ecstatic Dance is usually a self-guided journey, but I’m curious about bringing NCC into the group setting in the opening circle (pre-dance) and closing circle (integration). I offered a workshop a few weeks ago in which I led everyone through the four directions and stages of life through a dance journey, then they all went on a wander on the land. It was a powerful practice and I look forward to more!

• Deanna

April 27, 2021 at 11:22 pm

Summary Post:

I am inspired to learn more about trauma and body-centered coaching. I feel that I learned a lot from this module, and I also see that there is A LOT to learn before I can feel confident in working with major traumas.

My main takeaways from the Trauma module is the level of somatic awareness and resourcing that I can maintain throughout my day, as well as during sessions with clients. I realize the importance of maintaining somatic and self-awareness during sessions, in addition to tracking my clients. I don’t find this easy, so it’s something I need to continue practicing, and I realize I can practice it in all my relationships. My world is opened up to a greater awareness of the traumas in my body, and a greater understanding and confidence in being able to move and sequence the trauma. I am very grateful for this module!

Page 2 of 2
Reply to: Ivy Walker
Cancel
Your information:

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now