Home Forums Movement and Triggers

Tagged: 

• teriseangelina

December 15, 2018 at 3:21 pm

I been practicing my triggering, by never forgetting to put on my jewelry. I am getting smarter than my brain by reminding myself.

• tgvance72

January 5, 2019 at 2:22 pm

Movement and triggers improved my focus tremendously. Being intentional about awareness and connectedness required all of the steps in the Getting Started With Nature Connection course. I am grateful for it.

• Cecelia

June 12, 2019 at 12:39 pm

I, along with 2 others, went into the forest to practice Movement and Triggers. We had an exploratory discussion on the term “triggers” and its connotation associated with painful or uncomfortable experiences. From there we began examining what it might be like to intentionally establish “positive triggers” as a way to remind ourselves to stop, step outside, and experience nature in some way, shape, or form. Each of us came up with something that would be our trigger. For me it was time of day, i.e. after lunch stroll along a tree-lined path; for another it was the sounds of birds chirping; for the third person, it was a dedicated ring tone on his phone alerting him that it was time to go out.

After our discussion, we then moved into the forest for our mindfully slow walk/forest bath into the woods. What an experience! None of us were accustomed to moving that slowly and quietly. At the end of our walk as we processed the experience the words that repeatedly came up were “peaceful” and “at peace”, “calming”, “recharged”, “generous”, and “compassionate”. This type of exercise was new to one of our group. When we stopped momentarily to silently observe and listen, I heard the participant whisper under her breath “Wow.”

This was an occasion when I stepped aside and nature became the therapist. Needless to say, this exercise was truly awe inspiring.

• Kirsten Witherell

May 4, 2020 at 9:10 am

I have a tendency to have many projects or thoughts going on at the same time which can cause me to feel overwhelmed. I loved this exercise of deliberately slowing your speed down in order to stay connected with the present moment and whatever you are doing. I can see how you could integrate this into your day and how it could help you stay focused and actually cause me to be more grounded and more productive as a result.

• sara-dalton

October 16, 2020 at 8:44 pm

I have many things going on in my life and knowing that I try to do things one things at a time.

• Lari Jo W. Edwards

December 20, 2020 at 1:55 pm

This was an amazing experience. I can’t walk at 1/4 speed yet, but movement is a very different feeling than sitting in one space.

• brian-bishoff

February 28, 2021 at 12:34 am

Yes I am trying to take a short time every time I go for a walk to S-L-O-W down and do a full sensory, mindful experience. I have a tendency to think about all kinds of things not related to where I am. BE HERE NOW

• Michelle

June 14, 2021 at 1:08 pm

I enjoyed this module and particularly the idea of setting an alarm or trigger to remind us to remain mindful and in FSA. I had a holistic counselor once who had me practice something similar. She gave me a long, thin rope to carry with me and each time I would succumb to anxiety or revert to old habits I was working through, she would have me tie a knot in the rope. This represented the disruption of progress and positive energy I was working on. It was difficult and also quite revealing in what triggered the knots and how often, during what circumstances. Ultimately, and with time, this practice helped me carry a full length of rope with no knots, illustrating positive flow. The use of alarms during the movement and triggers segment reminded me of the rope therapy.

• Tisha

August 27, 2022 at 2:16 pm

I found that it was hard to stay in fsa while moving, but that the more I practiced it the more I saw it entering into my daily life and almost becoming second nature. I started setting 20 min timers to try to remind myself to get back to connected and I felt that helped keep it in my mind better. I am really enjoying all the different techniques this class has afforded me.

• Pam

March 26, 2023 at 8:06 am

What a great practice. When I prepare a meal is my trigger.

• Alex Soto

June 15, 2023 at 7:44 am

This is a great tool to keep you in the present moment, I do feel a bit edgy about the word “triggers” as a reminder. I guess I associate the word triggers w/ something that doesn’t feel right or is just bad.

This is modality also part of my practice as a Forest Therapy guide, honestly I like to call myself a Nature Medicine Guide. We call this “What’s in Motion”, this is where you get to guide the client to proceed at a glacial pace just like Nature evolves.

Since I live in NYC, I’m among one of the most noisy city if I’m correct. So moving through life for me is fast and always changing. But there is a magic to this practice, slowing down but speeding up and still being in the present is a gift. So I created a trigger, everytime I find myself social media scrolling I would stop and practice Movement/FSA. It takes work as I’m retraining my mind to do something its not use too.

• Michael

Administrator
      August 4, 2023 at 8:42 pm

I hear you about the word “trigger”. but maybe it can have a postive side too?

• Eileen

August 13, 2023 at 3:13 pm

Yet again another great exercise. As thgis module is coming to a close for me, I really feel a rewiring of my brain has occurred. i am noting a deeper level of listening and greater capacity to track during coaching sessions. Mmore specifically, re Triggers and Movement – I loved the approach of slowing down movement- very effective in being awareness into the present. Triggers seem so important to activate a desired state… for me I am developing a time-intervaled ritual of being in the moment and doing some brief mental exercises (akin to being in the gym) – typically before meal times – positive effect also slowing down my meal times.

• Melanie

September 10, 2023 at 4:58 pm

This practice was a little hard to get started with. I had trouble making my movements a “trigger”, as I think of a trigger as something that is disruptive, and since I am always moving, I don’t think of it that way. I finally decided to take note of my triggers (a timer, brushing my teeth, spending time in my garden) and then integrate the FSA into my slower movements. Semantics aside, it’s been a great practice for me, and I’ve been able to drop into this heightened state of awareness at many different times to help me connect more deeply with whatever is going in my surroundings. Excellent tool!

Reply to: Michael
Cancel
Your information:

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now