Home Forums Open Vision Discussion

• Jenna

October 17, 2018 at 1:09 pm

I definitely found this practice to be a bit more difficult for me than the surround sound. It took a lot of focus to concentrate on seeing more around me without actually moving my eyes. I know I am occasionally guilty of of not being aware of. my surroundings, and this practice will help me be aware of myself more often. As a outdoor enthusiast I spend as much time as I can in the wilderness and different kind of habitats, and understand the importance of being aware of what is around you at all times. Practicing open vision can be beneficial for survival as well as mental clarity and relaxation. In a society full of distractions, this seems that it will be a good trick to slow down and focus on what is important. Can’t wait to keep practicing!

• Tisha

July 23, 2022 at 8:46 am

I found this practice to be easier than surround sound as I already practice it in a way. I started riding motorcycles a few years ago and you really do have to keep an eye on all directions, so when I set down at the creek to widen my gaze I found it very easy to focus on left and right vision. It was very relaxing and calming. I was able to see things happening without having to look directly at them. I definitely feel like I am very aware of my vision field now and find myself actively using this practice and being aware of it.

• teriseangelina

December 1, 2018 at 5:56 pm

I gaze around the forest and move my eyes around, look at the beautiful butterflies, and focus what I see and dream about it. I have been practicing my open vision and seeing animals.

• tgvance72

December 20, 2018 at 6:42 am

The Open Vision Technique is challenging, however, I can see the benefits and will include it in my wilderness therapy toolbox. During the instruction video, I realized we have been trained by societal influences to be hyper focused on one thing directly in front of us and then another and yet another. This must be exhausting to our minds to continue this behavior all day and could be a direct result of our stress, anxiety and maybe even paranoia. Open Vision seems to be the basic foundation of our human survival mechanism and is a more natural way to see our surroundings. This one technique will significantly increase a connection to nature as well as our everyday environment relieving everyday stress, creating a relaxed mind and promoting awareness. The Open Vision Technique should be included in a “How to Access Your Super Powers” course…just saying.

• Lisa Dahlgren

January 13, 2019 at 8:19 am

Hello everyone, I, too, love the butterflies. And have been waiting on the course that helps me access my super powers. Is that coming soon, tgvance? Please let me know so I can sign up. 🙂

When using this technique, which I have only tried once, I was aware of how often my body gets used to doing the same thing in the same way. By making the subtle shifts that Michael suggested with peripheral vision and widening then narrowing the focus, it helped me feel like these more subtle changes could be taken to many different senses. I was also struck with how every type of focus has a place. Fear naturally focuses my attention, and so is really good for those things, especially in nature, where I really need to see every detail of something coming my way to stay safe. But fear in some instances and when applied indiscriminately, can so narrow my focus I miss things that are helpful or otherwise even enjoyable.

I can’t say that I particularly liked this exercise, in the same sense that I liked doing the surround sound exercise, but I did find it useful and sparked a lot of thoughts for me.

• tgvance72

January 13, 2019 at 9:22 am

Hello Lisa, Michael is teaching us to access all of our nature superpowers through EBI…lol I am working on some courses for my business, perhaps Accessing Your Super Powers will be on the menu. I want to attend EBI’s Nature-Connected Coaching certification program in Boulder. That would be a milestone to celebrate.

Gerald

• ivyhess

February 14, 2019 at 3:40 pm

I totally agree with Jenna. I am finding this practice difficult, but want to keep at it. I love to do landscape photography. I am always trying to find something that catches my eye, so that I can focus in on it to photograph it.

• Lisa Dahlgren

February 15, 2019 at 8:36 pm

Hello tgvance, jenna, ivy, and Angelina, I got to do the Foundations intensive a few weeks ago and it was great. We did all the awarenesses and more. I try to do them several times a week but I am so used to doing my typical meditations that it is hard to put in these new ones. I like them when I do them. I would like to work toward being in the state of complete awareness all through my day. That seems like it is a place I will never reach, but I like the thought of doing it. I hope you all are doing well, where ever you are physically, personally, and on your journey with EBI. Take care.

• Cecelia

May 14, 2019 at 2:38 pm

I found this practice to be challenging however the effort to complete it was well rewarded. One insight I gained from this is how narrow my focus is as I walk through life. Others have stated, and I concur, that we are trained to focus on one thing, focus forward, to the exclusion of what is happening peripherally. Although difficult to execute in the beginning, this proved to be a powerful exercise in helping me open my sight and mind to a bigger, broader, interesting world.

• rhonda

June 4, 2019 at 11:21 am

Like many of the others, I found this practice more challenging at first as I tend to be singularly focused then when I opened my peripheral vision I was pretty overwhelmed by my surroundings. I kept at it and with practice found a “flow” to focusing in and out. I can’t say I reached an “open relaxed” state but I will keep trying!

• gaiaceousgardens

August 20, 2019 at 12:16 am

This practice of open vision is very fascinating and relaxing for me. I found that my habitually narrow focus has caused some deep, unconscious anxiety within me. I had no idea it was there. It was like a part of brain was aware that I wasn’t taking in my full surroundings and was sounding a quiet, little alarm somewhere that I couldn’t hear until now. Amazing! I’m so glad I finally heard it! So, when I shifted my gaze wide, out to the periphery and allowed myself to relax into that, I felt more in my body and relaxed in a deeply trusting way. It was as if my brain could now trust that I was taking in my full (or almost full) surroundings and I would be ok. So, so fascinating.

• jodycoram79

November 22, 2019 at 1:28 pm

I agree with others that my mind and eyes wanted to wander and relax. This will take practice. I can definitely see the benefit. I imagine becoming well versed in this practice could be very enlivening as you are able to take more in and make your vision more expansive. I can imagine my self feeling more energetic by widening my vision.

• Kendall

February 5, 2020 at 3:28 pm

Like so many said, I’m excited to continue to practice this technique and get stronger at it. With so many of us using extreme focus and tunnel-vision when working on our phones and computers, it’s a nice way to reset after a tech sesh and realize that the world is bigger than what we are focusing on in that moment. It is kind of like a super power! I could see much more than I thought I’d be able to

• jeffrey-cobb

March 25, 2020 at 8:59 am

Zoom in zoom out its better than Zumba. It makes a variable of your seeing,

• damon-beckemeyer

April 20, 2020 at 7:58 pm

This one was tricky. My mind definitely had a tendency to get distracted, and focusing on nothing but sight proved to require some effort.

• Kirsten Witherell

April 21, 2020 at 2:07 pm

Enjoyed session #2- expanding and contracting the peripheral field of view, keeping a soft focus, and just feeling at one with nature and my surroundings!

Page 1 of 3
Reply to: Michael
Cancel
Your information:

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now