Home Forums Open Vision Discussion

• Melanie

May 31, 2023 at 7:08 am

I’ve been practicing this for a couple of weeks now. When I started, it was very easy to get distracted by any little movement. Gradually, I started being more aware of my tendency to bring every little movement into focus to find out what it was, then get lost in continuing to follow the activity. Over the course of time, I came to find that as I was more familiar with the movements that were normal activity, it was easier to pick out the movements that were less ordinary. What an incredible practice! It feels like I am honing that particular skill and at the same time, I am noticing that I have more opportunity to relax into the awareness that takes place at the most basic level of the practice.

• Michael

Administrator
      May 31, 2023 at 9:36 am

Right on! I’m really glad to hear how this is integrating.

• Eileen

July 26, 2023 at 2:32 pm

Similar to experiening Surround Sound, open vision has prompted and helped me to strengthen my sense of anticipation and has expanded my sense of awarness. Big take away for me is the realisation that I can be very quick to focusing on what is infront of me – tunnel vision rather that exercising an open mind through vision. Also drew my awareness to a tendency to multitask at times- as if taking in too much at one time -looking in all directions. I really appreciate the relaxing effect of this exercise on my mind. As a coach, I am finding these exercises excellent in terms of waiting in anticipation, and being curious about what might arise.

• Becka

August 18, 2023 at 2:19 pm

I also found open vision more difficult than surround sound. It’s hard for me to let go of focusing on one thing. When I sat by a stream and practiced this I noticed flowers, grasshoppers, dragonflies, and deeper areas in the stream. It reminded me of something I used to say and had forgotten about. “The more you sit, the more you see.”

• Michael

Administrator
      August 18, 2023 at 3:58 pm

Thanks for sharing! Open Vision is hard…at first. The more you practice the less your brain needs to work at it. Also, next time you practice surround sound, notice how you will automatically activate Open Vision. 🤔

• Becka

August 18, 2023 at 4:04 pm

Great! Thanks, I will. 🙂

• Herb

August 29, 2023 at 12:31 pm

This Exercise really did open me up. I feel like it also took a different energy level to process more information and keep my eyes still. I was also breathing more deeply. The integration with surround sound also became clear because it felt like I was listening peripherally too. even the view in front of me took on a clearer focus. I tried it while walking and I saw how much my head in a way that I don’t notice wirh narrower vision.

I was walking in the woods with some coworkers and switched to open vision. I saw something move quickly some 50 yards away. judging from the height of the flash i saw and hearing the speed, I knew it wasn’t a bear, which are common in the area. I assessed that it was likely a deer but possibly a coyote or bobcat. I told a colleague and we swiftly proceeded in the other direction.

• Becka

January 25, 2024 at 1:15 pm

I found the open vision to be an interesting experience. It helped me to center and increase my present awareness. I found it difficult however when in conversation to maintain focus on the person I was listening to. I imagine with practice this will become easier.

• Becka

January 31, 2024 at 12:38 pm

In nature or surroundings when I’m alone I found Open Vision to be a natural process for me. I think this is because I take photographs and am looking for what is around me and challenging myself to see something that I didn’t notice before or see it differently. When in conversation I found practicing this to be distracting me from what was being said. I had to increase my concentration when I was expanding my awareness of what I saw. I imagine this will get easier with practice.

Page 3 of 3
Reply to: Michael
Cancel
Your information:

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now