Home Forums Full Sensory Awareness Discussion

• teriseangelina

December 3, 2018 at 10:19 am

I went to a whole new world at Oxbow Meadows and saw a tank of fish and turtles. I did photography on fish and turtles in a tank. I been practicing my senses while looking around Oxbow Meadows.

• tgvance72

December 20, 2018 at 10:02 am

Full Sensory Awareness sessions reveal that we are truly connected to the elements in the universe. Every sight, sound, smell, taste and feeling comes alive. During my session, I felt a poetic rhythm between the living earth and my whole body and mind. My heartbeat aligned with the distant sounds of birds. Each warm breath joined with the crisp cool breeze in an entrancing dance across my cheeks and even the blood circulating through my veins played a part in this symphony of nature. For a moment, I imaged what all of these elements and feelings would taste like once mixed into a recipe to nurture my mind. It may taste like a blend of earthy leaves saturated with the sweetness of summer berries that are golden brown like pancakes or maybe a refreshing peppermint flavored cake with robust dark chocolate chips slowly melting on top. Perhaps it’s both or neither. I have never considered nature to be a musical buffet of harmonious deliciousness, but I do now and I can’t wait to share this experience with my clients.

• Lisa Dahlgren

January 19, 2019 at 6:47 pm

I enjoying being with nature. This exercise was a great way to put my experience of being with nature into words and a structure.

• ivyhess

March 7, 2019 at 9:02 pm

I have been away from the class for awhile as I was away from home. I was at a river “resort”, but my husband and I were the only guests on the 7.5-acre property. I spent a lot of time outdoors, practicing what I have learned so far. It was very different to be able to spend so much time being more aware internally and externally. At one point, it started snowing and I got to taste snowflakes on my lips. I loved hearing the wind and feeling it and the sunshine on my skin.

• Jenna

March 19, 2019 at 5:22 pm

At first, trying to practice the full sensory awareness was a bit of a struggle for me. It can be difficult to let go of racing thoughts and to-do lists. Step by step instructions are a big help when first trying to calm my mind and get the hang of sitting in silence. When I am in a serene sunny spot and birds are chirping it is much easier to get immersed in this practice than it is when I am in a less picturesque location. But that’s the point, right? It is indeed incredibly valuable to use this practice while enjoying a beautiful moment or day in nature, but it is also equally as valuable to be able to enter this practice when you need to stop your mind from going off track. This practice definitely helps me pull myself back into the present moment, and appreciate the second, minute, hour, and day that I am lucky enough to enjoy. I am looking forward to continue to practice this and learn more in the next sessions!

• Cecelia

May 23, 2019 at 12:35 pm

Of the exercises presented thus far, this one has been the most challenging. I had to give it several “goes” before I felt the full effect. Becoming more aware of our senses and how our senses inform us served to increase my level of awe and connection with nature. This (as well as the previous assignments) is an excellent mindfulness exercise to help us pull back into the present moment and just “be”. I’m looking forward to more lessons. Thank you.

• Kirsten Witherell

May 4, 2020 at 8:34 am

I liked integrating the previous two lessons in this third lesson, bringing it all together. It is a practice that we can pull into our daily lives even when we are not out in nature. I look forward to the next sessions!

• sara-dalton

October 16, 2020 at 8:15 pm

Full sensory awareness is a great lesson to learn.

• Lari Jo W. Edwards

December 20, 2020 at 1:19 pm

I love the activity of full sensory awareness. We spend so much time getting information from our eyes, it’s nice to give them a break. The addition of feeling to the senses is critical. I am definitely making this a regular practice.

• brian-bishoff

February 12, 2021 at 8:54 am

Integrating all the senses is a powerful way to connect nature and it is very calming as well.

• shannon-renne

March 9, 2021 at 8:11 am

I found this exercise was a great addition to my morning grounding practice. It created a real presence of self within the whole and opened up my senses to truly experiencing everything in the present moment. I found my nervous system relaxed deeply to allow more of the surrounding stimuli in. The birds and bare tree branches were a big part of my visual and auditory experience. Even living in the city I felt I was under this vast canopy of the tree network with feathered friends flying in and out – so much movement. I look forward to practicing this in different environments. I felt it was a great reminder of how much we can choose to be connected or wrangle in our energetic receptions/projection in challenging situations.

• Michelle

June 7, 2021 at 10:38 am

FSA reminds me of the Japanese practice of Shinrin Yoku. I have studied it and know of it, but have never completed a forest bathing session. I am looking forward to doing that this year and utilizing this FSA practice seems like it will compliment the experience. As with all of these modules, the waiting and anticipating is always very enjoyable to me.

• Tisha

August 18, 2022 at 8:21 pm

I have spent a lot more time on fsa than I did the first two modules and I think it has really helped me connect not only with nature and myself, but my daily living world. I am consciously being more aware of what’s happening in my peripheral and my entire bubble. I spent many hours sitting in a creek and just listening, seeing, smelling and even tasting the world around me. As I reached out more and more I realized I could hear the creatures walking and nibbling on crunchy things but I couldn’t see them. I could smell the flowers and the farm on the air. I could taste the sweetness of a honeysuckle bush when I pulled the stem through. I watched the tadpoles and the minnows swim endlessly around my feet. I have become more calm and focused while also being very aware of my surroundings. I love these journeys!

• Pam

March 21, 2023 at 1:51 pm

I love practicing the sensory awareness!

• Alex Soto

May 31, 2023 at 7:00 am

As a Forest therapy guide, this is the foundation of our work. It’s the journey in taking people out of the monkey mind to the present moment with nature. Each time I do this exercise, I feel like I’m being held by nature, caressed, feed and just unconditional love. The experience is really a great way to fully embody nature and allow your vulnerability to accept all that is around you.

Page 1 of 2
Reply to: Michael
Cancel
Your information:

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now